McKay and Smith was a partnership of Henry Squarebriggs McKay and Frank Warren Smith, formed in about 1888. Frank Smith previously had been a draftsman in Henry McKay’s office.
McKay and Smith designed The Abbotsford at 184-188 Commonwealth, in which both Henry McKay and Frank Smith (and Smith’s mother, Jane (Ross) Smith Palmer) had ownership interests. McKay and Smith dissolved in about 1892 and Frank Smith became a sole practictitioner.
In 1892, Henry McKay changed the spelling of his surname to Mackay and formed a new partnership with Charles Blanchard Dunham, who had been a draftsman in his office, establishing the firm of Mackay and Dunham.
Back Bay Work