Charles Blanchard Dunham was bnrn on February 25, 1869, in Virden, Illinois, the son of Ervin Tewksbury Dunham and Elizabeth Ellen Hicks (daughter of George Hicks).
He died on December 7, 1966, in Manchester.
Charles Dunham was unmarried.
Charles Dunham studied art with with George H. Bartlett, principal of the Normal Art School of Boston. In the late 1880s, he became a draftsman with McKay and Smith (Henry S. McKay and Frank W. Smith) and also continued his studies of architecture at MIT.
In about 1892, McKay and Smith dissolved their partnership. Henry McKay changed the spelling of his surname at about that time to Mackay and took took Charles Dunham into partnership in the firm of Mackay and Dunham.
In mid-1895, Charles Dunham went to Europe to continue his architectural studies, resuming his practice at Mackay and Dunham upon his return. The firm continued until 1899, after which Charles Dunham continued as a sole practitioner and Henry Mackay moved to Salt Lake City.
Mackay and Dunham designed apartment houses, hotels, and commercial buildings, among them The Chesterfield at 371 Commonwealth (1892), The Ericson at 373 Commonwealth (1892), the Empire at 333 Commonwealth (1895), The Tuileries at 270 Commonwealth (1896), and the Blackstone Block on North Street (1899).
Charles Dunham’s work as a sole practitioner centered largely in Medford, where he lived for most of his life, and its environs. Among his works were Franklin School in Medford (1899), the First Baptist Church in Watertown (1899-1900), the First Baptist Church in Arlington (1902), the Medford City Stable on James Street (1905); Lorin L. Dame School in Medford (1909); and the Lawrence Memorial Hospital (1924) and Nurses’ Home (1926) in Medford.
Back Bay Work
|1892||371 Commonwealth (61 Massachusetts) [Mackay and Dunham]|
|1892||373 Commonwealth [Mackay and Dunham]|
|1895||333 Commonwealth [Mackay and Dunham]|
|1896||270 Commonwealth [Mackay and Dunham]|