Mackay and Dunham was a partnership of Henry Squarebriggs Mackay and Charles Blanchard Dunham, formed in 1892. Henry Mackay previously had been in partnership with Frank Warren Smith, at which time he spelled his surname “McKay.” McKay and Smith dissolved in about 1892.
In mid-1895, Charles Dunham went to Europe to continue his architectural studies, resuming his practice at Mackay and Dunham upon his return. The firm continued until 1899, after which Charles Dunham continued as a sole practicitioner.
Mackay and Dunham designed apartment houses, hotels, and commercial buildings, among them The Chesterfield at 371 Commonwealth (1892), The Ericson at 373 Commonwealth (1892), The Empire at 333 Commonwealth (1895), The Tuileries at 270 Commonwealth (1896), and the Blackstone Block on North Street (1899).
In addition to his architecture practice, Henry Mackay also was the owner of at least two of the apartment hotels that Mackay and Dunham had designed, the Empire and The Tuileries. In 1899, they were sold at auction in foreclosure. Henry Mackay moved to Salt Lake City soon thereafter.
Back Bay Work
|1892||371 Commonwealth (61 Massachusetts)|