262 Commonwealth was designed by architect Samuel D. Kelley and built in 1880 by Samuel M. Shapleigh, carpenter builder, one of five contiguous houses (258-260-262-264-266 Commonwealth) designed by Kelley for John and/or Samuel Shapleigh between 1879 and 1883.
John Shapleigh is shown as the owner and builder of 258 and 260 Commonwealth on the original building permit applications, dated September 29, 1879, and October 10, 1879, respectively. John Shapleigh and his brother, Samuel, are shown as the co-owners (and Samuel Shapleigh is shown as the builder and Phineas L. Pearson as the mason) on the application for 262 Commonwealth, dated March 27, 1880, and on the final building inspection report, dated August 5, 1880. And John Shapleigh is shown as the owner and Antoine Xavier as the builder on the applications for 264 and 266 Commonwealth, dated October 30, 1882, and September 15, 1883, respectively.
By the 1881-1882 winter season, 262 Commonwealth was the home of retired boot and shoe manufacturer Charles Hill Dill, II, and his wife, Ann E. (Torrey) Dill. In 1880, they had lived at the Hotel Commonwealth on Washington Street. He is shown as the owner of 262 Commonwealth on the 1883, 1888, and 1898 Bromley maps.
Their son, George A. Dill, a real estate dealer, married in April of 1894 to Laura S. Clark. After their marriage, they lived at 262 Commonwealth with Charles and Ann Dill until about 1898, after which they moved to Brookline.
Charles Dill, II, died in January of 1908. The Heirs of Charles H. Dill, II, are shown as the owners of 262 Commonwealth on the 1908 Bromley map.
By 1912, 262 Commonwealth had been acquired by the Academy of the Sacred Heart and combined with its existing properties at 264–266 Commonwealth. The Academy is shown as the owner of all three properties on the 1912 and 1917 Bromley maps.
By 1920, the Academy also had acquired 260 Commonwealth.
Loren Delbert Towle was a real estate dealer who died in September of 1923. Prior to his death, he and his wife, Helen M. (Leland) Towle, had begun construction of a 35-room home in Newton, designed by Arthur H. Bowditch. Loren Towle died before its completion and Helen Towle exchanged it for the Commonwealth Avenue property. She was the assessed owner of 260-262-264-266 Commonwealth in 1926.
By 1927, 260-262-264-266 Commonwealth were owned by David Shikes and Philip Boris Long, real estate dealers, who converted the buildings into a lodging house. In February of 1927, they filed for (and subsequently received) permission to make interior improvements. The current and proposed use was stated as “lodging house and dormitories.”
David Shikes and Philip Long are shown as the owners on the 1928 Bromley map. David Shikes died in August of 1937, and the Heirs of David Shikes and Philip Long are shown as the owners on the 1938 map. They continued to be the assessed owners through 1942.
By 1943, 260-262-264-266 Commonwealth were once again the property of Helen M. Towle, who was the assessed owner from 1943 through 1946.
By 1947, 260-262-264-266 Commonwealth were owned by Morton J. Archer, who was the assessed owner from 1947 through 1949. The property remained a lodging house.
In May of 1947, Morton Archer applied for (and subsequently received) permission to cut openings in the party wall with 262 Commonwealth to provide additional egress. In June of 1949, he applied for permission to install a fire balcony connecting with 258 Commonwealth. In that filing, the name “Goldberg” was crossed-off and replaced by Morton Archer’s name, as treasurer of M & N Hotels, Inc. (at 57 Bernard in Dorchester, Jacob Goldberg’s address).
By mid-1949, 260-262-264-266 Commonwealth were owned by Josephine M. Ward, who was the assessed owner from 1950. The property remained a lodging house. In January of 1954, she applied for (and subsequently received) permission to convert 260 Commonwealth from a lodging house into a lodging house and one apartment, and to convert 266 Commonwealth from a lodging house into a lodging house and two apartments. 262-264 Commonwealth remained lodging houses.
In August of 1960, Chamberlayne School and Chamberlayne Junior College purchased 260-262-264–266 Commonwealth from Josephine M. Ward. In October of 1960, it applied for (and subsequently received) permission to convert 262 Commonwealth from a lodging house into a dormitory.
In May of 1962, Chamberlayne purchased the former Professional Building at 270 Commonwealth and converted it into a dormitory. By 1964, it also owned 274–276 Commonwealth, and in 1966 it acquired 278–280–282 Commonwealth.
Chamberlayne went bankrupt in the mid-1970s and sold many of its properties.
In February of 1977, George J. Brennan, Jr., Rocco Losano, Louis Francis Musco, Jr., and Frank Carroll (doing business as Commonwealth Management Associates, also known as Garden Halls Dormitories) purchased 260 and 262 Commonwealth from Chamberlayne. The Stratford Foundation (successors to Chamberlayne) retained 264-270 Commonwealth.
Commonwealth Management Associates continued to operate 260-262 Commonwealth as a dormitory.
In October of 1979, Commonwealth Management Associates transferred both properties to George Brennan, Jr., and Louis Musco, Jr. George Brennan and Louis Musco’s father, Louis, Sr., were co-founders of Bay State College.
Louis Musco, Jr., died in May of 1987. 260-262 Commonwealth continued to be owned by George Brennan and Louis Musco’s estate. In December of 2002, George Brennan transferred his interest in the property to the Brennan Family Realty LLC. He died in March of 2014.
260-262 Commonwealth remained a dormitory for Bay State College in 2016.
In March of 2017, 260-262 Commonwealth were acquired from Musco Properties LLC and the Brennan Family Realty Realty LLC by the Commonwealth Avenue Partners LLC (Marcel Safar and Xavier Giraud, managers of record).