380 Marlborough was designed by Cummings and Sears, architects, and built in 1881 by James Smith and J. McNutt, as the home of Charles James Sprague, a widower. He previously had lived at 598 Tremont, where his wife, Amelia M. (Stodder) Sprague, had died in March of 1880. He is shown as the owner of 380 Marlborough on the original building permit application, dated March 9, 1881.
Living with Charles J. Sprague were his son-in-law and daughter, attorney Lauriston Livingston Scaife and Helen Amelia (Sprague) Scaife. Helen Scaife is shown as the owner of 380 Marlborough on the 1883,1888, and 1898 Bromley maps, and was the assessed owner through 1903.
Also living at 380 Marlborough was Charles J. Sprague’s son, Charles, a widower. He had been married in February of 1879 to Ellen Billings and they had lived at 323 Commonwealth with her father, Horace Billings. She died in December of 1880 and he moved to live with his father soon thereafter. He married again in April of 1900 to Ellen Blake, and they moved to an apartment at 405 Marlborough. He was an oil merchant and later president of Chase-Shawmut Company, manufacturers of “electrical specialties.”
By the 1904-1905 winter season, 380 Marlborough was the home of Dr. Henry Jackson, a physician, and his wife, Lucy (Rice) Jackson. They previously had lived at 309 Marlborough. Lucy W. Jackson was the assessed owner of 380 Marlborough from 1904 through 1924 and is shown as the owner on the 1908 and 1917 Bromley maps.
During the 1920-1921 winter season, they were joined at 380 Marlborough by their son-in-law and daughter, Kennard Winsor and Adelaide (Jackson) Winsor. He was a stockbroker. They previously had lived at The Torrington at 384 Commonwealth. By the next season, they had moved to Chestnut Hill.
Henry and Lucy Jackson continued to live at 380 Marlborough in 1924. Lucy Jackson died in 1924, after they returned in mid-September from a trip to Europe. Lucy JAckson’s Heirs were the assessed owners of 380 Marlborough in 1925. By the 1925-1926 winter season, Henry Jackson had moved to 51 Hereford.
In the summer of 1925, 380 Marlborough was purchased from Lucy Jackson’s estate by cotton manufacturer Hamilton DeForest Lockwood, and his wife, Maria Bond (Wheelwright) Lockwood. The transaction was reported in the Boston Globe on August 2, 1925. They previously had lived at 177 Marlborough. Hamilton and Maria Lockwood are shown as the owners of 380 Marlborough on the 1928 and 1938 Bromley maps.
They also maintained ahome in North Haven, Maine.
William DeForest Lockwood died in January of 1943. Maria Lockwood and their son, Hamilton Lockwood, Jr., continued to live at 380 Marlborough, Hamilton DeForest Lockwood, Jr., was an investment counselor.
Maria Lockwood continued to live at 380 Marlborough until her death in March of 1969.
In July of 1969, Joseph L. Eldredge and Joan W. Eldredge acquired 380 Marlborough from Hamilton DeForest Lockwood, Jr.
In June of 1976, they filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property from a single-family dwelling into four apartments.
In August of 1976, they converted the property into three condominium units, the 380 Marlborough Condominium.
In May of 1978, the condominium owners agreed to increase the number of units from three to four.