Cummings and Sears

Cummings and Sears was formed in 1867, a partnership of Charles Amos Cummings and Willard Thomas Sears.  They remained partners until 1890, when Cummings retired.

Among their works are Brechin Hall (1861) and Stone Chapel (1867) at Phillips Andover; the Sears Building (1868), probably the first office building in Boston to have been dependent upon the elevator; Hotel Boylston (1870; demolished) at Tremont and Boylston Streets; the New Old South Church (1874-75) in Copley Square; the Bedford Building (1875-76) at 99 Bedford, and the Cyclorama Building (1884), now the Boston Center for the Arts, at 538 Tremont Street.

Back Bay Work

1871 230 Clarendon (109 Newbury)
1872 121 Commonwealth
1872 9 Gloucester
1872 11 Gloucester
1872 13 Gloucester
1872 15 Gloucester
1872 322 Marlborough
1875 55 Commonwealth
1876 261 Clarendon (Demolished)
1876 51 Commonwealth
1876 113 Commonwealth
1876 115 Commonwealth
1877 49 Commonwealth
1880 165 Commonwealth
1881 380 Marlborough
1885 316 Beacon
1885 132 Commonwealth
1885 388 Marlborough
1886 371 Beacon
1886 428 Marlborough
1887 396 Marlborough