430 Marlborough was designed by architect Obed F. Smith and built in 1885-1886 by Charles H. Dodge, mason, for building contractor George Wheatland, Jr., for speculative sale, one of six contiguous houses (430-432-434-436-438-440 Marlborough), arranged in a symmetrical group, the three to the east (430-434 Marlborough) with bays on the eastern side, and the three to the west (436-440 Marlborough) with bays on the western side. The peaks of the bays have varied designs. George Wheatland, Jr., is shown as the owner on the original building permits for 432-440 Marlborough, dated October 16, 1885 (the permit application for 430 Marlborough is missing from the Boston Building Department’s on-line files). At the same time, George Wheatland, Jr., was having six more houses built at 381-391 Commonwealth on the lots to the south, behind 430-440 Marlborough, also designed by Obed Smith and built by Charles Dodge.
By the 1886-1887 winter season, 430 Marlborough was the home of Horace Vinton Freeman, an insurance broker, and his wife, Ruth A. (Page) Freeman. They had married in March of 1886 and 430 Marlborough probably was their first home together. Ruth Freeman is shown as the owner of 430 Marlborough on the 1888, 1895, 1898, 1908, and 1917 Bromley maps.
Horace Freeman died in March of 1894. Ruth Freeman continued to live at 430 Marlborough. During the 1894-1895 and 1895-1896 winter seasons she was joined by her parents, Edward Page and Elizabeth D. (Adams) Page. He was an importer and dealer in iron, steel, and rails. Their usual residence was in Weston, where they had moved in about 1893; prior to that, they had lived at 82 Commonwealth.
Ruth Freeman continued to live at 430 Marlborough until about 1918.
In mid-1919, Dr. Frederick W. O’Brien purchased 430 Marlborough from Ruth Freeman. The transaction was reported in the Boston Globe on July 25, 1919. His mother, Margaret T. (Quinlan) O’Brien lived with him. They previously had lived at the Hotel Cambridge at 483 Beacon.
Frederick O’Brien was a physician and radiologist, and also was a professor of radiology at Tufts College Medical School. He maintained his medical office at 430 Marlborough.
Frederick O’Brien married in October of 1921 to Sarah A. Green. After their marriage, they lived briefly at 430 Marlborough, but by the 1922-1923 winter season had moved to 465 Beacon. His mother continued to live at 430 Marlborough until her death in December of 1922.
It appears that, when he purchased 430 Marlborough, Frederick O’Brien converted it into a two-family dwelling, and from about 1920 it also was the home of Myles Standish and his wife, Frances E. (Wright) Standish. He was a commercial traveler and in the late 1920s became financial advertising manager for the Boston Post. They continued to live at 430 Marlborough during the 1925-1926 winter season, but moved thereafter.
By the 1923-1924 winter season, 430 Marlborough was the home of Warren Franklin Freeman, a real estate broker, auctioneer, and appraiser. He previously had lived in Brighton. He does not appear to have been a close relative of Horace Vinton Freeman, the original owner of 430 Marlborough.
Warren Freeman was twice widowed and in 1925 he married again, to Rose (Roslyn/Rosalind) Saunders. After their marriage they lived at 430 Marlborough. Warren and Rose Freeman are shown as the owners of 430 Marlborough on the 1928 Bromley map, and Rose Freeman is shown as the owner on the 1938 Bromley map.
The Freemans converted 430 Marlborough into a multiple dwelling, either a lodging house or apartments, with the Standishes and several other residents living there in 1923 and later years.
Among the longer-term residents was Miss Josephine Abbott, who lived at 430 Marlborough from about 1924. She previously had lived in an apartment at 421 Marlborough. She continued to live at 430 Marlborough during the 1934-1935 winter season, after which she moved to an apartment at 406 Beacon.
Also among the longer-term residents with the Freemans were Thomas Winslow Rich, a real estate broker, and his wife, May M. (Telfer) Rich, who lived there from about 1930. They previously had lived in Buzzard’s Bay. They continued to live at 430 Marlborough during the 1934-1935 winter season, but moved thereafter and by 1940 were living in Newton.
Warren Freeman died in December of 1944. Rose Freeman continued to live at 430 Marlborough until about 1972. She subsequently moved to Cochituate.
In July of 1972, Rose Freeman transferred 430 Marlborough to Louise McKenzie. In February of 1976, Louise McKenzie transferred the property back to Rose Freeman.
In October of 1976, W. E. Steele, trustee of the Corey-Washington-Egremont Nominee Trust, purchased 430 Marlborough from Edward J. Barshak, guardian of Rose S. Freeman.
In May of 1981, the Corey-Washington-Egremont Nominee Trust filed for (and subsequently received) permission to legalize the occupancy as six units (the existing condition).
That same month, the 430 Marlborough Street Corporation purchased 430 Marlborough from the Corey-Washington-Egremont Nominee Trust.
In March of 1983, the 430 Marlborough Street Corporation converted 430 Marlborough into four condominium units, the 430 Marlborough Street Condominium.