267 Beacon was built ca. 1871 for building contractor George Wheatland, Jr., one of four contiguous houses (263-265-267-269 Beacon), designed as a symmetrical composition, with 263 and 269 Beacon having two-story oriels, defined mansards, and slightly projecting facades, and 265-267 Beacon having one-story oriels. 265 Beacon was built as George Wheatland’s home, and the other three were probably built for speculative sale.
By 1875, 267 Beacon was the home of merchant Edward Frothingham and his wife, Eugenia (Mifflin) Frothingham. They had been living in Paris in November of 1874 when their daughter, Eugenia Brooks Frothingham, was born (she would become a novelist and leader of the women’s suffrage movement). He is shown as the owner of 267 Beacon on the 1883 and 1888 Bromley maps.
They continued to live there in 1887, but during the 1887-1888 winter season were living elsewhere and it was the home of Alfred Perkins Rockwell and his wife, Katharine Virginia (Foote) Rockwell. They had lived at 3 Fairfield during the 1885-1886 season, and then traveled in Europe.
Alfred Rockwell was a professor of mining at MIT in the early 1870s, having held a similar position at Sheffield Scientific School in New Haven in the late 1860s. Following the Boston Fire in November of 1872, he was appointed Chairman of the Boston Fire Commission. From 1876 to 1879, he was president of the Eastern Railroad, and from 1879 until his retirement in 1886, he was treasurer of the Great Falls Manufacturing Company, a textile firm.
By the 1888-1889 winter season, the Rockwells had moved and then traveled abroad once again, and by the 1890-1891 season were living at 9 Exeter, the home of Edward Frothingham’s unmarried sister, Ellen Frothingham.
Edward and Eugenia Frothingham resumed living at 267 Beacon during the 1888-1889 and 1889-1890 winter seasons, after which they moved to 210 Beacon to live with his nephew, Gorham Hubbard, and his wife, Sarah (Henshaw) Hubbard. By the 1893-1894 season, the Frothinghams had moved to a new house they had built at 476 Beacon.
By the 1890-1891 winter season, 267 Beacon was the home of Dr. Walter Joseph Otis, a physician, and his wife Alice Dexter (Fay) Otis. In 1889, they had lived at 270 Clarendon. Alice Otis is shown as the owner of 267 Beacon on the 1895, 1898, and 1908 Bromley maps.
They continued to live at 267 Beacon until late 1896, when they moved to Europe and he engaged in advanced medical studies and original research in anatomy and embryology at the University of Vienna. After their return to the United States in 1905, he practiced medicine in Worcester.
By the 1897-1898 winter season, 267 Beacon was the home of Dr. George Howard Monks and his wife Olga (Gardner) Monks. They had been married in June of 1897 and 267 Beacon probably was their first home together.
George Howard Monks was a surgeon, specializing in plastic surgery, and was a professor of surgery at Harvard Medical School and Harvard Dental School.
The Monks continued to live at 267 Beacon in 1901, but had purchased and moved to 67 Marlborough by 1902.
By 1903, it was the home of Dr. Hugh Williams, a surgeon, and his brother, Moses Williams, Jr., a lawyer. They previously had lived with their parents, Moses and Martha (Fininley) Williams, at 234 Beacon. Also living at 267 Beacon were Frederic Sprague Goodwin, an attorney, and Miss Goodwin, probably his sister, Fannie Goodwin. In 1900, they had lived at 55 St. Stephens with their widowed father, James Frederic Goodwin, a deputy sheriff. He had died in May of 1901.
Hugh Williams and Frederic Goodwin continued to live at 267 Beacon. In 1906, they were joined there by Dr. Freeman Allen, a physician.
In mid-1907, Dr. Williams purchased and subsequently moved to 301 Beacon. Frederic Sprague moved there with him. Freeman Allen moved to 5 Mt. Vernon, where he also maintained his office, and then, by 1910, to 200 Beacon.
By late 1907, William and Alice Otis had moved back to 267 Beacon. She died in January of 1909. Soon after his wife’s death, Dr. Otis returned to Europe with their two daughters, Marghretta Adams Otis and Rosamond Fay Otis. The Heirs of Alice Otis are shown as the owners of 267 Beacon on the 1912 and 1917 Bromley maps.
267 Beacon was not listed in the 1910 Blue Book.
During the 1911-1912 winter season, Dr. Otis and his daughters were living there once again. They returned to Europe in the spring of 1912.
During the 1912-1913 winter season, 267 Beacon was the home of real estate investor Stephen Westcott Sleeper, and his wife, Eliza Harriet (Cushing) Sleeper. They had been married in June of 1911; prior to their marriage, he had lived at 336 Beacon with his mother, Maria A. (Westcott) Sleeper, the widow of Jacob Henry Sleeper, Jr. They had moved from 267 Beacon by the 1913-1914 season and by 1915 were living at 12 West Cedar.
267 Beacon was not listed in the 1914 Blue Book.
By the 1914-1915 winter season, 267 Beacon was the home of stockbroker and banker Joshua Bennett Holden, Jr., and his wife Mabel (Bonsal) Holden. They previously had lived at 337 Commonwealth. They continued to live at 267 Beacon during the 1917-1918 winter season, but moved soon thereafter and by January of 1920 were living at 265 Clarendon.
267 Beacon was not listed in the 1919 Blue Book.
By 1920, 267 Beacon was the home of Mrs. Gertrude (Robbins) Caswell, wife of John Caswell, and their two children, John Caswell, Jr. and Elizabeth Robbins Caswell. John Caswell, Sr., was a real estate broker and noted big game hunter.
During the 1920-1921 winter season, 267 Beacon was the home of banker Jonathan Stone Raymond and his wife, Pauline (Pollard) Stone. In January of 1920, at the time of the US Census, they were living in Beverly. By the 1921-1922 winter season, they had moved to 13 Marlborough.
During the 1921-1922 winter season, 267 Beacon was the home of Alfred Elmer Stockbridge and his wife, Irene (Wall) Stockbridge. In 1921, they had lived in Somerville. Alfred Stockbridge was president and treasurer of the Magee Furnace Company. By 1923, they had moved to 78 Bay State Road.
During the 1922-1923 winter season, it was the home of Matthew Luce and his wife, Mary Cobb (Hovey) Luce. He was a wool merchant. By 1924, they had moved to 250 Commonwealth.
During the 1923-1924 winter season, 267 Beacon was the home of Charles Edward Hodges, Jr., and his wife, Mary E. (Neal) Hodges. They previously had lived in Manchester. Charles Hodges was Vice President of the American Mutual Liability Insurance Co. They continued to live at 267 Beacon during the 1924-1925 season, but moved to Beverly thereafter.
By the 1925-1926 winter season, 267 Beacon was the home of Frederick Josiah Bradlee, Jr., and his wife, Josephine (de Gersdorff) Bradlee. They previously had lived in Southborough. He is shown as the owner of 267 Beacon on the 1928 Bromley map, and Josephine Bradlee is shown as the owner on the 1938 map. They also maintained summer homes in Marblehead (listed in the 1926-1929 Blue Books), Manchester (1931), and Beverly (1932-1937).
Frederick Bradlee was an investment banker and trustee. Frederick and Josephine Bradlee’s son, Benjamin Crowninshield Bradlee, later became editor of The Washington Post.
They continued to live at 267 Beacon until about 1946, but had moved to an apartment at 280 Beacon by 1949.
In June of 1947, John Griffith Booton and his wife, Gertrude Vedder (Vermilye) Booton, purchased 267 Beacon from Josephine Bradlee. They previously had lived in Springfield.
John Booton was a career military ordnance officer. He retired in 1947 at the rank of Colonel and became a purchasing agent for Hollingsworth & Whitney Company, paper manufacturers.
John Booton died in May of 1961, and Gertrude Booton continued to live at 267 Beacon until her death in August of 1983.
In April of 1984, Rupert R. Gildenhuys, trustee of the Eagle Holdings Trust, purchased 267 Beacon from the estate of Gertrude V. Booton.
In September of 1984, the 267 Limited Partnership purchased 267 Beacon, and in March of 1985, it applied for permission to demolish the existing garage at the rear and replace it with a new garage. The application was denied and the Board of Appeal dismissed the appeal.
In November of 1985, the 267 Limited Partnership converted the property into three condominiums.
In February of 1986, the 267 Limited Partnership file for permission to remodel the garage into a gated parking court (without a roof). The permit was denied, but the denial was annulled by the Board of Appeal, with provisos designed to ensure that the rear yard would be “designed as a parking court to maximize open space.”