92 Marlborough is located on the SE corner of Marlborough and Clarendon, with 90 Marlborough to the east, 270 Clarendon to the west, across Clarendon, 273-279 Clarendon to the north, across Marlborough, and 267 Clarendon to the south.
92 Marlborough was built ca. 1870 for building contractor George Wheatland, Jr., for speculative sale, one of four contiguous houses (92 Marlborough and 263-265-267 Clarendon) that form a single unit between Marlborough and Public Alley 423.
George Wheatland, Jr., purchased the land for the four houses in two transactions. On October 1, 1869, he bought the lot at the corner of Clarendon and Marlborough, with a frontage of 54 feet on Marlborough, from John Revere, and on March 23, 1870, he bought the lot to the east, with a frontage of 12 feet, from architect John H. Sturgis. Both lots had originally been part of a parcel purchased from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts on July 30, 1862, by David Snow.
The original deeds for the four houses provided a four foot wide easement at the eastern edge of the lots, running from the southeast corner of 92 Marlborough through the rear yards of 263-265-267 Clarendon, to provide for drainage and access to the alley.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 92 Marlborough, and click here for further information about the land between the south side of Marlborough and Alley 423, from Berkeley to Clarendon.
On April 1, 1871, 92 Marlborough was purchased from George Wheatland, Jr., by wool merchant Charles Larkin. He previously had lived in Milton, where his wife, Susannah (Rich) Larkin died in November of 1870. He continued to live at 92 Marlborough in 1879, but had moved to the Hotel Hamilton at 260 Clarendon by 1880.
On November 1, 1879, 92 Marlborough was purchased from Charles Larkin by Joseph Brown Thomas, president of the Standard Sugar Refinery. He and his wife, Martha T. (Seran) Thomas, lived on Monument Square in Charlestown.
92 Marlborough became the home of their son and daughter-in-law, Joseph Brown Thomas, Jr., and Annie (Hill) Thomas. They previously had lived in the Chapel Station (Longwood) district of Brookline. He was associated with his father’s sugar refining business and later would become president of the company.
The Thomases continued to live at 92 Marlborough during the 1890-1891 winter season, but moved thereafter to 19 Bay State Road.
During the 1891-1892 winter season, 92 Marlborough was the home of merchant George L. Snelling and his wife, Jane (Robinson) Snelling. During the previous season they had been lodgers at 121 Beacon.
Joseph Brown Thomas, Sr., died in January of 1891, and on March 16, 1892, 92 Marlborough was purchased from his estate by Dr. Virgil Clarence Pond, a dentist. He and his wife, Maud (Closson) Pond, lived in Foxborough until about 1895, when they moved to Brookline.
Virgil Pond converted 92 Marlborough into medical offices and apartments, after which he maintained his dental office there.
Longer term residents of the apartments at 92 Marlborough included musician and advertising agent Frank Herbert Robie and his wife, Mariam (Sugarman) Robie, who lived there from 1900 (and possibly somewhat before) until about 1915; college instructor Samuel Gideon and his wife, Sadie, and their lodger, Frederic C. Kneeland, also a college instructor (from 1908 through about 1911); and Miss Eleanor Rosalie Thornton (from about 1911 through 1915), who had been joined by her sister, Janet Thornton, by 1915. Eleanor Rosalie Thornton was a music teacher and Janet Thornton was a social worker.
By the 1916-1917 winter season, the Misses Thornton had moved to 81 Marlborough to live with Miss Ellen Wayles Coolidge.
By the 1917-1818 winter season, Ellen Wayles Coolidge had moved from 81 Marlborough to an apartment at 92 Marlborough and was living with Miss Lillie Marion Peck. They both were social workers. They continued to live at 92 Marlborough through 1922, when they moved to 12 Fairfield, which had been the home of Ellen Coolidge’s maternal aunt, Miss Georgina Lowell.
On April 2, 1924, 92 Marlborough was acquired from Virgil Pond by real estate dealer William N. Ambler, and on April 15. 1925, it was acquired from him by real estate dealer Edward J. Ball. He continued to operate it as a multiple dwelling.
On April 15, 1926, 92 Marlborough was purchased from Edward Ball by Katharine Gibbs School. In July of 1926, the school applied for (and subsequently received) permission to convert 92 Marlborough into a dormitory.
Katherine Gibbs School also owned 90 Marlborough and 151 Commonwealth. It subsequently acquired 135 Commonwealth in September of 1927, 303 Dartmouth in October of 1930, and 21–23 Marlborough in August of 1936.
In mid-1953, Katharine Gibbs School acquired 6 Arlington to consolidate its operations in one location.
On August 31, 1953, 92 Marlborough was acquired by real estate dealer Thomas J. Diab’s Baid Realty Corporation (Baid being the reverse spelling of Diab). At the same time, he also acquired 90 Marlborough, 151 Commonwealth, 135 Commonwealth, and 303 Dartmouth from the school. The school retained 21-23 Marlborough, converting them from dormitories to classrooms.
In October of 1954, Baid Realty applied for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property from a dormitory into nine apartments.
The property subsequently changed hands and remained an apartment house in 2015.