22 Marlborough was built ca. 1863, one of five contiguous houses (22-24-26-28-30 Marlborough) built as a single block, with a rusticated stone base at the first story with arched entryways and windows, and a heavy cornice at the roof line.
22 Marlborough was built as the home of Lydia (Cabot) Jackson, widow of Patrick Tracy Jackson. Living with her were her unmarried son and daughter, Edward Jackson, a commission merchant, and Ellen Jackson. They previously had lived at 2 Hamilton Place.
Lydia Cabot purchased the land for 22 Marlborough on December 30, 1862, from Caleb William Loring and Charles F. Choate, trustees for a real estate investment trust formed by them with Francis B. Hayes and Franklin Evans. The parcel was part of a larger tract of land with a 287 foot frontage extending east from Berkeley Street that the trust had purchased from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts on May 2, 1860.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 22 Marlborough.
Lydia (Cabot) Jackson’s niece, Elizabeth Cabot (Jackson) Putnam, and her husband, Dr. Charles Gideon Putnam, lived at 24 Marlborough (Lydia Jackson’s sister, Elizabeth (Cabot) Jackson was the mother of Elizabeth Cabot (Jackson) Putnam; in addition, Lydia Jackson’s husband, Patrick Tracy Jackson, was the brother of Elizabeth Cabot (Jackson) Putnam’s father, James Jackson).
Lydia Jackson died in June of 1869, and by 1870, Edward and Ellen Jackson had moved to an apartment at the Hotel Hamilton at 260 Clarendon.
On September 12, 1870, 22 Marlborough was purchased from Lydia Jackson’s estate by Edward Dyer Peters, a tea merchant. He and his wife, Jane Almira (Gould) Peters, made it their home. They previously had lived at 6 Newbury.
Jane Peters died in December of 1877. Edward Peters continued to live at 22 Marlborough.
During the 1879-1880 season it was the home of M. R. Wendell, probably Mark Rogers Wendell, a wholesale dry goods merchant, and his wife, Catherine (Thaxter) Wendell. Their primary residence was in Jamaica Plain.
During the 1880-1881 season, 22 Marlborough was the home of Charles Archbald Kidder and his wife, Harriet Lois (Rice) Kidder. He had graduated from Harvard in 1879 and they had married in February of 1880. He was an investment banker in the firm of Kidder, Peabody & Company, co-founded by his father, Henry Purkitt Kidder.They lived at 22 Marlborough while completing their new home at 269 Commonwealth.
Harriet Kidder died in childbirth in July of 1881 in Milton. Charles Kidder (and presumably their infant son, Charles, Jr.) moved to 2 Newbury to live with his recently-widowed father (his mother, Caroline Whitmarsh (Archbald) Kidder, had died in March of 1881 at 2 Newbury).
Edward Peters resumed living at 22 Marlborough during the 1881-1882 winter season, but moved thereafter and by 1885 was living at the Hotel Vendôme.
During the 1882-1883 winter season, 22 Marlborough was the home of Frank W. Jones, probably Frank William Jones and his wife, Alice W. (Twombly) Jones. Frank Jones had come to Boston in 1861 from Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and had worked in the office of G. M. Barnard & Co., East India merchants. He subsequently went to Colorado during the boom of 1867 and then was connected with railroad and mining ventures in the West. According to his New York Times obituary published on December 29, 1900, he had retired in about 1880, when he and Alice Twombly were married, and they “spent the greater part of the time in Europe.” They later lived at 232 Beacon.
On April 3, 1883, 22 Marlborough was purchased from Edward Peters by attorney William Minot, II. He was a widower, his wife, Katharine (Sedgwick) Minot, having died in June of 1880. They previously had lived in the Woodbourne section of Jamaica Plain. He also maintained a home in Bar Harbor.
William Minot’s son, Dr. Charles Sedgwick Minot, an instructor and later a professor at Harvard Medical School, lived with him. He married in June of 1889 to Lucy Fosdick. After their marriage, they lived with his father but by 1892 had moved to the Readville district of Milton.
In March of 1889, William Minot, II, acquired 24 Marlborough . From that time forward, the two houses remained under the same ownership. For about the next sixteen years, 24 Marlborough became a lodging house where his son, Laurence Minot, and a number of other single young men lived, usually remaining until they married.
William Minot continued to live at 22 Marlborough until his death in February of 1894. After his death 22 and 24 Marlborough continued to be owned by the his estate and leased to others.
By the 1894-1895 winter season, 22 Marlborough was the home of leather merchant Arthur C. Lawrence and his wife, Sarah Ann Baldwin (Field) Lawrence. They previously had lived at 56 Gainsborough. Their daughter, Marion Field Lawrence, married in April of 1895 to Dr. Frank A. Higgins, a physician. After their marriage, they lived with her parents at 22 Marlborough and he maintained his medical office there.
The Lawrences and Higginses continued to live at 22 Marlborough in 1902. By 1903, Arthur and Sarah Lawrence had moved to the Hotel Somerset, and Frank and Marion Higgins had moved to an apartment at 384 Commonwealth.
In 1903, 22 Marlborough appears to have been a lodging house. Among the residents was William Henry Field, an advertising and business manager for Munsey’s Magazine who served briefly in 1903 as treasurer of the Boston Journal. He married in September of 1903 to Ethel Scovil Clements of Rutland, Vermont (in 1927, William Field would become publisher of the Rutland Herald).
By the 1903-1904 winter season, 22 Marlborough was the home of Mrs. Alice Esther (Ives) Breed, her son, Francis William Breed, and her daughter, Florence Breed, an artist. Alice Breed was the wife of Francis W. Breed, a shoe manufacturer in Lynn and a promoter of mining and railway ventures. It appears that Mrs. Breed was living temporarily in Boston, probably in connection with the marriage of her daughter. Her husband probably continued to live in Lynn or possibly in Cambridge, where the couple was living at the time of the 1910 US Census.
Florence Breed married in October of 1904 to Ali Kuli Khan, secretary to Abdul Bahai, founder of the Bahai faith, and from 1910, chargé d’affaires of the Persian Legation in Washington DC.
Alice Breed continued to live at 22 Marlborough in 1905.
On December 22/23, 1905, 22 and 24 Marlborough were acquired from the estate of William Minot by Rachel Ewing (Sherman) Thorndike, the wife of Dr. Paul Thorndike. They previously had lived at 244 Marlborough.
Paul Thorndike was a physician and later also a professor at Harvard Medical School. Rachel Thorndike was the daughter of General William Tecumseh Sherman. Their three children — William Tecumseh Sherman Thorndike, Martha Thorndike, and Anna Thorndike — lived with them at 22 Marlborough, and he maintained his office at 24 Marlborough, where he also rented office space and lodgings to other physicians.
In 1910 and 1911, they were joined at 22 Marlborough by Mrs. Rose (Lee) Gray, the widow of attorney Reginald Gray. In 1909, she had lived at 108 Beacon. She continued to live at 22 Marlborough with the Thorndikes in 1911, but had moved to 19 Marlborough by 1912.
Paul and Rachel Thorndike spent the winter of 1916-1917 in Brookline, and 22 Marlborough was temporarily the home of noted author Winston Churchill and his wife, Mabel Harlakenden (Hall) Churchill.
Martha Thorndike married in May of 1918 to Joseph Rochemont Hamlen; after their marriage, they lived in Washington DC.
During the 1918-1919 winter season, 22 Marlborough also was the home of Albert Jeremiah Beveridge and his wife, Catherine Spencer (Eddy) Beveridge. Their primary residence was in Indianapolis and they had recently purchased a home in Beverly which they were in the process of remodeling. Albert Beveridge was a former US Senator from Indiana and an historian, his most noted work a multi-volume biography of Chief Justice John Marshall, for which he received a Pulitzer Prize in 1920.
On January 22, 1919, Frederic Clay Bartlett and Helen Louise Birch were married at 22 Marlborough. He was an artist, noted for his murals, and an art collector. She was the second cousin of Catherine Beveridge (Helen Birch’s maternal grandmother, Delia (Spencer) Root, the wife of Francis H. Root, was the sister of Catherine Beveridge’s maternal grandfather, Franklin Fayette Spencer). They were joined at the wedding Delia (Spencer) Caton Field, the widow of Chicago department store owner Marshall Field; she was Catherine Beveridge’s aunt and Helen Birch’s first cousin, once removed. After their marriage, Frederic and Helen Bartlett lived in New York City; she died in October of 1925, and he married again in June of 1931 to Evelyn (Fortune) Lilly, the former wife of pharmaceutical manufacturer Eli Lilly; after their marriage, they lived at 285 Marlborough.
Rachel Thorndike died in October of 1919. Paul Thorndike continued to live at 22 Marlborough with their unmarried children, William and Anna. William Thorndike was a physician and maintained his office at 24 Marlborough with his father. By the 1919-1920 winter season, they had been joined at 22 Marlborough by Paul Thorndike’s sister-in-law, Miss Mary E. Sherman.
By the 1920-1921 winter season, Paul Thorndike, his daughter, Anna, and his sister-in-law, Mary Sherman, had moved to an apartment at The Austerfield at 7-9 Massachusetts Avenue (504 Beacon). He and his son continued to maintain their offices at 24 Marlborough.
During the 1920-1921 winter season, 22 Marlborough was the home of Nelson Slater Bartlett, Jr., and his wife, Christiana Sargent (Hunnewell) Bartlett. They previously had lived at 288 Beacon. They also maintained a home in Dover. By 1922, they had moved to Wellesley.
By the 1921-1922 winter season, 22 Marlborough was the home of MacGregor Jenkins and his wife, Alice B. (Duncan) Jenkins. They had lived at 172 Marlborough during the previous season. They also maintained a home in Dover.
MacGregor Jenkins was associated with Houghton, Mifflin as business manager of the Atlantic Monthly from 1890. In 1908, when Houghton, Mifflin ceased publishing the magazine, he was one of the organizers of The Atlantic Monthly Company, which continued its publication. He served as treasurer of the company until his retirement in 1928. He also was the author of numerous books and articles.
The Jenkinses continued to live at 22 Marlborough in 1930.
22 Marlborough was not listed in the 1931 Blue Book.
By the 1931-1932 winter season, 22 Marlborough was the home of Mrs. Mary (Sewall) Metcalf, the former wife of woolen manufacturer and noted yachtsman, Rowe Browning Metcalf. She continued to live there in 1933, but moved to an apartment at 301 Berkeley for the 1933-1934 winter season.
By the 1933-1934 winter season, 22 Marlborough was the home of Mrs. Winifred (England) Ruiter, the widow of Robert E. Ruiter, and their adult children, Frances Ruiter, Florence E. Ruiter, Byron E. Ruiter, and Robert G. Ruiter. They previously had lived in Melrose. By 1935, they had moved to 15 Marlborough.
In early 1934, it appears that 22 Marlborough was the location of a contract bridge club. On January 5, 1934, the Boston Globe reported on a gathering of contract bridge players at The Deal Club at 22 Marlborough. On February 2, 1934, it noted that “prominent contract bridge players of Greater Boston gathered last evening at the Marlboro Club, 22 Marlboro.” Byron Ruiter is mentioned in two other Boston Globe articles (from 1937) about competitive contract bridge in New England, and it appears likely that he may have organized these clubs.
By 1935, 22 Marlborough was the home of Frederick A. Marsden, a retired physician, who operated it as a lodging house. In 1934, he had lived at 17 Marlborough. He continued to live at 22 Marlborough in 1936, but moved to 354 Beacon in that year.
On April 28, 1936, 22 and 24 Marlborough were purchased from the Thorndike family by Shirley Clifford Speed, a real estate dealer who converted many Back Bay houses into lodging houses and apartments.
On April 29, 1936, S. Clifford Speed sold an undivided half-interest in the properties to Mabel (Clark) Shaw Welsh, the wife of real estate dealer Willard Welsh. They lived in Malden. The properties continued to be operated as lodging houses.
On May 1, 1939, 22 and 24 Marlborough were acquired from S. Clifford Speed and Mabel Welsh by Charles A. Sherwin, Jr., and his wife, Alfredda (Stoddard) Sherwin. He was a retired sales manager of a steel company. They previously had lived at 80 Marlborough.
The Sherwins lived at 22 Marlborough and operated both properties as lodging houses until about 1948.
On November 1, 1948, 22 and 24 Marlborough were acquired from the Sherwins by Mrs. Edna Mae (Reynolds) Candage Lovejoy Walsh Grant. She was the former wife of Henry (Harry) Wells Candage, the widow of Everett John Lovejoy and Dr. William Martin Walsh, and the former wife of Wallace Edwin Grant.
Edna Grant lived at 470 Beacon, where she also operated a lodging house, and owned 220 Commonwealth and other Back Bay properties. In about 1951, she moved to an apartment at 220 Commonwealth. On October 1, 1951, she was arrested and charged with arranging for illegal abortions, working with three physicians who also were arrested.
On November 15, 1951, Edna Grant transferred 22 and 24 Marlborough and her other properties to a trust she established for her benefit, with Anna Louise (Day) Hicks as trustee.
Louise Day Hicks was a real estate investor and operator of lodging houses. She and her husband, John Edward Hicks, an engineer, lived in South Boston. She later would become a well-known Boston politician. She was elected to the Boston School Committee in 1961 and was an outspoken opponent of using busing to integrate Boston’s schools. In 1967, she was an unsuccessful candidate for Mayor, but in 1969 was elected to the City Council. In 1970, she was elected to the US Congress, but was defeated for re-election in 1972. She was reelected to the City Council in 1973 and 1975, but then lost two successive bids in 1977 and 1981.
On November 15, 1953, 22 and 24 Marlborough were acquired from Anna Louise (Day) Hicks, trustee, by The Work of God, a non-profit organization based in Chicago. On December 22, 1953, they transferred the properties to their Massachusetts affiliate, The Work of God, Inc.
In June of 1954, The Work of God, Inc., applied for (and subsequently received) permission to combine the properties, cutting an opening in the party wall between them on the third floor, and converting them from lodging houses into a dormitory and chapel. They continued to be located at 22-24 Marlborough until the mid-1970s.
On December 3, 1975, 22-24 Marlborough were purchased from The Work of God, Inc., by the Winthrop Financial Company. That same month, they applied for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property into eight apartments.
On August 3, 1976, the Winthrop Financial Company converted the apartments into eight condominium units, the 22 Marlborough Condominium.