241 Marlborough was designed by architect Samuel D. Kelley and built in 1882-1883 by building contractor Samuel T. Ames, probably for speculative sale.
By 1884, it was the home of Richard Olney and his wife Agnes (Thomas) Olney. They had lived at 175 Marlborough in 1882. He is shown as the owner of 241 Marlborough on the 1888 Bromley map.
Richard Olney was an attorney and later would become US Attorney General and Secretary of State under President Grover Cleveland.
The Olneys continued to live during the 1889-1890 winter season, but moved soon thereafter to the Hotel Kensington at 687 (307) Boylston, and then to a new home they had built at 415 Commonwealth.
By the 1890-1891 winter season, 241 Marlborough was the home of Miss Madeleine Curtis Mixter. She previously had lived at 120 Marlborough. She is shown as the owner of 241 Marlborough on the 1895 and 1898 Bromley maps.
During the 1907-1908 winter season, she was living elsewhere and 241 Marlborough was the home of Miss Ida Gertrude Beal and her sister, Miss Judith Drew Beal. They had lived at 361 Beacon the previous season. They subsequently travelled abroad, after which they resumed living at 361 Beacon.
She continued to live at 241 Marlborough until her death in October of 1915. The Heirs of Madeleine C. Mixter are shown as the owners of 241 Marlborough on the 1917 Bromley map.
During the 1915-1916 winter season, 241 Marlborough was the home of Joseph Grafton Minot and his wife, Honora Elizabeth Temple (Winthrop) Minot. He was treasurer of the Tudor Company, a shipping merchant specializing in the worldwide shipping of ice. The Minots had traveled abroad during the previous season and their home at 301 Berkeley still was leased to others. They had resumed living there by the next season.
By the 1916-1917 winter season, it was the Boston home of Madeleine Mixter’s sister, Helen Kortright (Mixter) Appleton, the wife of Randolph Morgan Appleton, and their daughters, Julia and Sybil. Randolph Appleton was a retired lawyer and farm owner in Ipswich, where he resided.
Julia Appleton married in October of 1917 to Charles Sumner Bird, Jr., an executive in his family’s roofing materials firm. After their marriage, they lived at 8 West Hill Place and then 68 Beacon while he served as a captain in the Army. Helen Appleton and Sybil continued to live at 241 Marlborough in 1920.
During the 1920-1921 winter season, Helen Appleton was traveling in Europe and Sybil Appleton was joined at 241 Marlborough by her brother-in-law and sister, Charles and Julia (Appleton) Bird. Their primary residence was in Westwood. After Helen Appleton’s return, she moved to an apartment at 259 Beacon and Sybil Appleton moved with her.
By the 1922-1923 winter season, 241 Marlborough was the home of Frederic Amory and his niece, Margery (Margot) Sullivan Amory. They previously had lived at 279 Beacon. Frederic Amory was treasurer of a cotton mill. He was unmarried and had lived at 279 Beacon with Margery Amory’s parents, Robert and Katharine (Crehore) Amory, prior to their deaths.
They continued to live there in 1924, but had moved to the Hotel Hamilton at 260 Clarendon by 1925.
By the 1924-1925 winter season, 241 Marlborough was the home of attorney Samuel Powers Sears and his wife, Helen (Nickerson) Sears. The previously had lived at 31 Lime and, before that, at 12 Hereford. Helen Sears is shown as the owner on the 1928 Bromley map. They also maintained a summer home at East Brewster.
In November of 1930, Samuel Sears applied for (and subsequently received) permission to construct a one-car garage at the rear of the property.
In about 1936, the Sears were divorced. Samuel Sears moved to 8 Park and Helen Sears moved to an apartment at 276 Marlborough. She continued to be shown as the owner of 241 Marlborough on the 1938 Bromley map.
241 Marlborough was not listed in the 1937 Boston Blue Book, and was shown as vacant in the 1937-1943 Boston City Directories.
By 1940, 241 Marlborough was owned by George Tyson, a stockbroker, and his wife, Marguerite (Skirven) Adams Tyson. They lived at 1 Louisburg Square. In February of 1940, he filed for (and subsequently received) permission to remodel the interior of 241 Marlborough, apparently in preparation for it to become the Boston residence of his sister-in-law, Perle (Skirvin) Mesta, the widow of George Mesta. Her primary residence was in Newport. Perle Mesta lived at 241 Marlborough in 1940 and early 1941, but moved soon thereafter to Washington DC, and became one of the capital’s leading hostesses. She was an early supporter of Harry Truman, who appointed her U. S. Minister to Luxembourg in 1949. Her appointment inspired Irving Berlin’s musical, “Call Me Madam” (book by Howard Lindsay and Russel Crouse).
By 1942, 241 Marlborough was the home of Clare Peter Johnson, a retired attorney, and his wife, Dorothy (Swetland) Johnson. They previously had lived at The Miles Standish at 30 Bay State Road. They continued to live at 241 Marlborough in 1943.
By 1944, 241 Marlborough was the home of Alfred Dandridge Pittman and his wife, Beatrice Greenleaf (Thayer) Pittman. They previously had lived in Swampscott. He was a director of the Christian Science Church. They continued to live at 241 Marlborough until about 1960.
By 1961, 241 Marlborough was the home of Paul R. Grosjean, a sales engineer, and his wife, Anne E. (Jicka) Grosjean.
By 1962, 241 Marlborough had been acquired from the Grosjeans by Dr. John A. Twaddle, a physician, and his wife, Anne (Canty) Twaddle. They previously had lived at 31 Fairfield. He died in February of 1986, and she died in February of 2002.
In June of 2003, Jonathan D. Seelig and his wife, Margaret C. Seelig, purchased 241 Marlborough from the estate of Anne Twaddle. In December of 2003, the Seeligs applied for (and subsequently received) permission to demolish and replace the garage at the rear of the property.
241 Marlborough remained assessed as a single-family dwelling in 2014.