351 Marlborough was built ca. 1872 for Hiram A. Gerrish, a building contractor and real estate broker, one of eleven contiguous houses (337-339-341-343-345-347-349-351-353-355-357 Marlborough) that comprise the entire north side of Marlborough between Gloucester and Hereford. He is shown as the owner of all eleven houses on the 1874 Hopkins map.
As originally designed, the houses were organized in a symmetrical design. All but 347 Marlborough, in the center, were identical, with the same façades and fenestration, with the three houses at the east (337-339-341 Marlborough) with bays on the east side, and the three houses on the west (353-355-357 Marlborough) with bays on the west side. 343-345 Marlborough and 349-351 Marlborough are symmetrical pairs. 347 Marlborough, in the center, has unique third floor fenestration and window lintels.
By 1875, 351 Marlborough was the home of William Sanford Butler and his wife, Charlotte F. (Whittridge) Butler. They had lived at 78 Appleton in 1874.
Knight & McIntire are shown as the owners of 351 Marlborough on the 1883 Bromley map. Knight & McIntire was wholesale provisions (produce) firm, a partnership of Elbridge G. Knight and Joseph McIntire. It also owned 347 Marlborough, and Joseph McIntire owned 337 Marlborough and 357 Marlborough.
Charlotte Butler died in November of 1881. William Butler continued to live at 351 Marlborough with their children, Lottie, Frances, and William Edward Butler. He remarried in February of 1884 to Mrs. Margaret Jane (McDonald) Folsom, the former wife of George Warren Folsom. It appears that she was the Mrs. Maggie J. Folsom who was listed in the City Directories from 1878 to 1883 as a “magnetic physician.” After their marriage, they lived at 351 Marlborough through the 1885-1886 winter season, after which moved to Brookline.
By the 1886-1887 winter season, 351 Marlborough was the home of attorney Lyman P. French and his wife, Mary Elizabeth (Fairchild) French. He is shown as the owner on the 1888 and 1890 Bromley maps.
351 Marlborough was not listed in the 1891 Blue Book.
During the 1891-1892 winter season, 351 Marlborough was the home of Herbert Merriam and his wife, Fanny (Hawes) Merriam. Herbert Merriam owned and operated Cherry Brook Farm in Weston, which also was their primary residence. By the 1892-1893 season, they had moved to 163 Beacon.
By the 1892-1893 winter season, 351 Marlborough was the home of Ellen L. (Hayes) Meany, the widow of stone and marble dealer Edward F. Meany, and their son, T. Francis Meany, who continued to operate his father’s business. They previously had lived at 5 Gloucester. Ellen Meany is shown as the owner of 351 Marlborough on the 1895 and 1898 Bromley maps.
Ellen Meany died in October of 1897. T. Francis Meany continued to live at 351 Marlborough during the 1897-1898 winter season, but moved to an apartment at 333 Commonwealth soon thereafter.
By the 1899-1900 winter season, 351 Marlborough was the home of Henry Winchester Cunningham and his wife, Mary May (Hayward) Cunningham. They had been married in October of 1899 and 351 Marlborough probably was their first home together. Prior to their marriage, he had lived at 31 St. James and she had lived at 346 Marlborough with her mother, Mary Bartlett (Vose) Hayward, the widow of Isaac Davenport Hayward. Henry Cunningham is shown as the owner of 351 Marlborough on the 1908, 1917, and 1928 Bromley maps. They maintained homes in Manchester and in Milton.
Henry Cunningham was retired, having been associated with the Continental Sugar Refinery and Boston Cooperage Company until they were acquired by the American Sugar Refining Company in 1882. He was a noted genealogist and antiquarian.
From about 1902, Mary Cunningham’s brother, Roland Hayward, a stockbroker, lived with them. He was unmarried and had lived at 346 Marlborough with their mother until her death in September of 1901. He continued to live at 351 Marlborough in 1904; he died in April of 1906 in Milton.
In 1920, Henry and Mary Cunningham were joined at 351 Marlborough by his mother, Lucinda Stearns (Winchester) Cunningham, the widow of James Henry Cunningham. She previously had lived at 104 St. James. By the 1920-1921 winter season, she had moved to 341 Marlborough.
Mary Cunningham died in February of 1929, and Henry Cunningham died in October of 1930.
By 1934, 351 Marlborough was the home of Dr. John Stephen Scott and his wife, Helen G. (Davis) Scott. They previously had lived at 31 Alveston in Jamaica Plain. He was a dentist and maintained his offices at 110 Newbury. He was the assessed owner of 351 Marlborough from 1934 through 1944 and is shown as the owner on the 1938 Bromley map.
In November of 1935, he filed for (and subsequently received) permission to repair the gable of the house, which had been damaged by fire.
The Scotts continued to live at 351 Marlborough until about 1940, when they moved to the Hotel Hamilton at 260 Clarendon. He continued to maintain his dental offices at 110 Newbury and to own 351 Marlborough and lease it to others.
By 1941, 351 Marlborough was the home of Henry Bradlee Fenno, a real estate broker. He had lived at 450 Beacon in 1940. He died in July of 1941, and the Scotts moved back to 351 Marlborough. By 1943, they had moved to 274 Clarendon.
In 1942 and early 1943, 351 Marlborough was briefly the home of Harold Mills Baptiste and his wife, Louisa R. Baptiste. He operated the Baptiste School of Dancing at 14 Newbury. Their usual residence was in South Lincoln.
Also in 1943, 351 Marlborough was briefly the home of Arnold Stamps and his wife, Sigrid Stamps. He was in the US Navy.
By 1944, 351 Marlborough was the home of Mrs. Katharine (Weld) Bennett, the widow of Bradford D. Bennett. She previously had lived at 15 Charles River Square.
By 1945, 351 Marlborough was the home of Wesley Lovejoy Boynton, a music teacher, and his mother, Helen F. (Short) Boynton, the former wife of Walter Edgar Boynton. Wesley Boynton previously had lived at 2 South Cedar Place, and his mother previously had lived in Dracut. They operated 351 Marlborough as a lodging house. Wesley Boynton et al were the assessed owners from 1945 through 1947. They continued to live there until about 1948.
By 1948, 351 Marlborough was the home of Donald Copeland Carter, who operated it as a lodging house. He previously had been a lodger at 4 Commonwealth. His parents, Percy Niles Carter and Blanche E. (Copeland) Carter, lived with him. They previously had lived in Reading. Donald Carter et al were the assessed owners from 1948 through 1952.
Donald Carter was a salesmen with the Moustapha Avigdor Galleries at 119 Newbury, dealers in rugs and art. Among the lodgers at 351 Marlborough was Perez Robert Avigdor, director of the gallery.
By 1954, 351 Marlborough was the home of Robert E. Bacon, an engineer, and his wife, Lillian (Farr) Bacon. They previously had lived in Granby. Robert E. Bacon, trustee, was the assessed owner of 351 Marlborough from 1954. In January of 1954, he applied for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property from a single-family dwelling into a single-family dwelling and lodging house. They continued to live at 351 Marlborough in 1956, but moved thereafter.
By 1957. 351 Marlborough was the home of Avard Cummings Sproul and his wife, Kathryn Ashton (Gibbs) Sproul, who operated it as a lodging house. They previously had lived at 389 Marlborough. They continued to live at 351 Marlborough in 1959, but had moved to Cambridge by 1960.
In May of 1959, 351 Marlborough was purchased by telephone company executive Frank Henry Rowland, Jr. He and his wife, Rose (Cunningham) Rowland, lived at 349 Marlborough, which they had converted into apartments in 1951.
In July of 1959, he filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert 351 Marlborough from a single-family dwelling and lodging house into five apartments. In an appeal related to his application, he indicated that, when he purchased the house, the property was operated as a furnished apartment and guest house, with five complete bathrooms (one on each floor) and complete kitchens on three floors.
The property changed hands and in May of 1985 was purchased by Kenneth J. Torlone, trustee of the 351 Marlborough Trust. In October of 1985, he converted the property into five condominium units, the 351 Marlborough Street Condominium..