353 Marlborough was designed by Krokyn and Krokyn, architects, and built in 1958-1959 on the existing foundation as a two-family building approximately 29′ 6″ high. K. L. K Realty is shown as the owner on the original building permit application, dated May 16, 1958, and the Ludor Realty Trust is shown as the owner on a June 4, 1959, permit application to substitute wooden fencing for a masonry wall.
By 1958, 353 Marlborough was owned by Dr. Donald E. Butterfield.
By 1965, 353 Marlborough was the offices of J. G. Kasten & Company, advertising. It previously had been located at 14 Newbury. John G. Kasten and his wife, Mary B. Kasten, lived at 259 Marlborough. The agency continued to be located at 353 Marlborough until about 1969.
In April of 1985, Donald Butterfield filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property from two to four units by constructing a front bay and penthouse addition to the building, bringing the height to 55 feet, with seven-stories. The addition was designed by John A. Harrell.
353 Marlborough (Demolished)
The house that 353 Marlborough replaced was built ca. 1872 for Hiram A. Gerrish, a building contractor and real estate broker, one of eleven contiguous houses (337-339-341-343-345-347-349-351-353-355-357 Marlborough) that comprise the entire north side of Marlborough between Gloucester and Hereford. He is shown as the owner of all eleven houses on the 1874 Hopkins map.
As originally designed, the houses were organized in a symmetrical design. All but 347 Marlborough, in the center, were identical, with the same façades and fenestration, with the three houses at the east (337-339-341 Marlborough) with bays on the east side, and the three houses on the west (353-355-357 Marlborough) with bays on the west side. 343-345 Marlborough and 349-351 Marlborough are symmetrical pairs. 347 Marlborough, in the center, has unique third floor fenestration and window lintels.
By 1874, 353 Marlborough was the home of boot and shoe merchant Henry Lefrelet Daggett, Jr., and his wife Evelyn Willard (Fay) Daggett. They had married in October of 1873, and 353 Marlborough probably was their first home together. Prior to their marriage, he had lived with his parents, Henry and Sara Eliza (Williams) Daggett, at 45 West Newton and then probably briefly at 116 Commonwealth.
353 Marlborough was owned by his father, who died in March of 1882 and whose heirs are shown as the owners on the 1883 Bromley map. Following his father’s death, Henry and Evelyn Daggett moved to 116 Commonwealth to live with his mother and sisters.
By the 1882-1883 winter season, 353 Marlborough was the home of Elijah Brigham Phillips, president of the Fitchburg Railroad, and his wife, Maria Rebecca (Ayling) Phillips. They previously had lived at 44 Newbury. In February of 1885, their daughter, Anna M. Phillips, married Cyrus A. Page, and by the 1885-1886 season, the Phillipses and the Pages had moved to 398 Beacon.
By the 1885-1886 winter season, 353 Marlborough was the home of cotton broker John Chester Inches and his wife, Henrietta Clementine (Bright) Inches. They had married in December of 1884 and probably had lived briefly at 40 Beacon with his parents, Martin Brimmer Inches and Mary Wells (Chester) Inches, before moving to 353 Marlborough. They continued to live there during the 1893-1894 season, but moved thereafter and were living at The Empire at 333 Commonwealth by 1897.
By the 1895-1896 winter season, 353 Marlborough was the home of Mrs. Ellen (Davis) Williams Hutchings, the widow of George Henry Williams and of William Vincent Hutchings. Her daughter, Ellen Augusta Williams, lived with her. They previously had lived at the Hotel Vendôme and, before that, at 342 Commonwealth.
Ellen Williams married in June of 1896 to Charles Brooks Morrill, a dry goods merchant. After their marriage, they lived at 353 Marlborough with her mother. He previously had lived at 107 Blue Hill Avenue.
Ellen Hutchings and the Morrills continued to live at 353 Marlborough in 1901, but had moved to 183 Bay State Road by 1902.
By the 1903-1904 winter season, 353 Marlborough was the home of John W. Lavalle and his wife, Alice Cornelia (Johnson) Lavalle. They previously had lived at 123 Marlborough with her father, dry goods merchant Edward Crosby Johnson. Edward C. Johnson is shown as the owner of 353 Marlborough on the 1908 and 1917 Bromley maps.
John Lavalle was an architect.
John and Alice Lavalle were divorced ca. 1908. Alice Lavalle continued to live at 353 Marlborough. She apparently inherited the house after her father’s death in 1927, and is shown as the owner on the 1928 Bromley map. She also maintained a home in Nahant.
In about 1934, she was joined at 353 Marlborough by her son and daughter-in-law, John and Virginia (Wilson) Lavalle. They had married in September of 1932 and previously had lived in Cambridge. His four children from his first marriage, to Ellen Tufts (who had died in January of 1932), lived with them: Alice Lavalle, Mary Dean Lavalle, John Edward Lavalle, and Ellen (Elaine) Lavalle. John Lavalle was a portrait and landscape artist.
On May 7, 1935, 353 Marlborough was destroyed by fire. Alice Lavalle, her grand-daughter, Alice, and two servants were killed, and Mary Lavalle died of injuries soon thereafter. John Lavalle was in New York, where he was exhibiting his art, and Virginia Lavalle was in Cincinnati visiting family.
John and Virginia Lavalle subsequently moved to Cambridge and then to 3 Gloucester.
353 Marlborough was demolished in 1935 and is shown as an empty lot on the 1938 Bromley map, owned by John W. Lavalle, Jr.