313 Beacon was designed and built ca. 1871 by Frederick B. Pope for speculative sale, one of fourteen contiguous houses (303-305-307-309-311-313-315-317-319-321-323-325-327-329 Beacon) he designed and built in the early 1870s.
311-313-315-317-319 Beacon are designed as a symmetrical composition. 311 Beacon and 319 Beacon are wider (on 24.5 foot lots) with bays (311 Beacon’s bay on the east side of the house and 319 Beacon’s bay on the west side). 313-315-317 Beacon are narrower (on 17 foot lots) each with an oriel window on the second floor. 313 Beacon and 317 Beacon have three dormers; the entrance to 313 Beacon is on the west, and the entrance to 317 Beacon is on the east. 315 Beacon forms the center of the composition, with a more elaborate mansard roof, set forward with a single, central double dormer window. The entrance to 315 Beacon has been removed – probably when it was combined with 317 Beacon in the early 1900s – but originally may have been centered on the façade.
311-313-315-317-319 Beacon were built on three parcels of land with a combined frontage of 100 feet. The eastern parcel, with a 50 foot frontage, was purchased from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts on October 17, 1870, by dry goods merchant Eben Dyer Jordan, co-founder of the firm of Jordan, Marsh & Co. The western two parcels, each with a 25 foot frontage, were purchased from the Commonwealth on October 10, 1870, and October 27, 1870, by Frederick Pope. Eben Jordan retained the land at 311 Beacon and 313 Beacon and sold the remaining lot to the west, with an 8 foot 6 inch frontage, to Frederick Pope on October 25, 1870. Once the houses were built, Eben Jordan sold the land and houses 311 Beacon and 313 Beacon, and Frederick Pope sold the land and houses at 313-315-317-319 Beacon.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 313 Beacon.
On April 1, 1871, 313 Beacon was purchased from Eben Jordan by William E. French, a distiller. He and his wife, Sarah Augusta (Kenison) French, lived at 47 Chester Square and later would live 323 Commonwealth.
They continued to live at 313 Beacon during the 1875-1876 winter season, but moved thereafter to 558 Tremont. William French continued to own 313 Beacon and lease it to others.
By the 1876-1877 winter season, 313 Beacon was the home of Henry Stackpole, a banker, and his wife, Bessie (Value) Stackpole. They had married in July of 1875. Prior to their marriage, he had lived at 7 Fairfield with his mother, Susan Margaret (Benjamin) Stackpole, widow of Joseph Lewis Stackpole; Henry and Bessie Stackpole may have lived there briefly after their marriage, before moving to 313 Beacon. By the next season they had moved to 20 Fairfield.
By the 1877-1878 winter season, 313 Beacon was the home of William Augustus Rust and his wife Nancy Elwell (Davison) Rust. They had married in April of 1877 and 313 Beacon may have been their first home together.
William Rust was a wholesale shoe and boot dealer and president of the Freeman’s National Bank.
They continued to live at 313 Beacon during the 1880-1881 winter season, but moved soon thereafter to 305 Beacon.
By the 1881-1882 winter season, 313 Beacon was once again the home of William and Sarah French’s daughter, Adelaide. Her marriage to Frederick Read had ended in divorce and she had remarried in June of 1881 to Frank R. Thomas, a salesman for a wholesale grocery company. William French continued to be the owner of 313 Beacon.
William French died in January of 1890 and Sarah French died in August of 1895. 313 Beacon was inherited by their three surviving children: Adelaide (French) Read Thomas, Charles Edward French, and George Baldwin French. On November 3, 1903, C. Edward and George French released their interest in the property to their sister.
Frank and Adelaide Thomas continued to live at 313 Beacon during the 1903-1904 winter season, and then moved to 323 Commonwealth to live with her brother, George Baldwin French.
313 Beacon was not listed in the 1905-1907 Blue Books.
On June 13, 1907, 313 Beacon was purchased from Adelaide Thomas by Lilian (Lillian) (Derby) Holmes Hamilton, the wife of Edward Wilbur Dean Hamilton. They previously had lived at 5 Brimmer.
E. Wilbur Dean Hamilton was an impressionist artist and illustrator, and taught at the Normal Art School.
During the 1909-1910 winter season, 313 Beacon was the home and medical office of Dr. Lesley Hinckley Spooner, a physician specializing in internal medicine. He was unmarried. He previously had lived at 12 West Cedar and had maintained his office at 419 Boylston. By April of 1910, he had been joined at 313 Beacon by Dr. Joseph Hersey Pratt, also a physician, and his wife, Rosamond Means (Thomson) Pratt. The Pratts had lived at 311 Beacon during previous winter season.
By the 1911-1912 winter season, Lesley Spooner moved his home and office to Haddon Hall at 282 Berkeley. At the same time, Joseph and Rosamond Pratt moved to Brookline and he moved his office to 317 Marlborough.
By the 1911-1912 winter season, E. Wilbur Dean Hamilton and Lilian Hamilton were once again living at 313 Beacon. They also maintained a home in Dover. They continued to live at 313 Beacon during the 1913-1914 winter season, but moved thereafter.
On July 31, 1915, 313 Beacon was purchased from Lilian Hamilton by Charles Sanford Stanton. Lilian Hamilton died in December of 1915.
Charles Sanford and his wife, Ethel Emma (Butchart) Stanton, made 313 Beacon their home. They previously lived at 156 Newbury. He was an attorney. They also maintained a home in Edgartown on Martha’s Vineyard.
In September of 1915, he applied for (and subsequently received) permission to remodel the interior of the house and also to enlarge the windows of the second floor bay.
On June 7, 1916, Charles Stanton transferred 313 Beacon to his sister, Katharine Stanton, as trustee on his behalf. She lived at 83 Marlborough. On December 16, 1924, she transferred the property back to her brother, and on October 2, 1931, he transferred it into his wife’s name.
Charles Stanton died in December of 1937. Ethel Stanton continued to live at 313 Beacon until about 1939.
On September 28, 1939, 313 Beacon was acquired by Dr. John Paul Tierney, a physician and eye, ear, nose, and throat specialist, who made it his home and medical office. He previously had lived and maintained his office at 411 Marlborough. He also maintained an office in South Boston. By the early 1940s, he also maintained a residence in Lewiston, Maine.
Dr. Tierney was separated from his wife, Mary Agatha (Genevicz) Tierney; they divorced in January of 1945. At the time of the divorce, she was living in Whitman, Massachusetts.
In August of 1949, he married again, to Ethel B. Hyder. They separated in about 1954.
In December of 1949, he applied for (and subsequently received) permission to erect a one-car garage at the rear of the property.
On February 21, 1955, Dr. Tierney transferred 313 Beacon to himself and Richard J. Cotter as trustees of the John Paul Tierney 1955 Trust. On April 11, 1975, the trust transferred the property back into John Paul Tierney’s name. The next day, he transferred the property to his son, Rev. Philip J. Tierney, an Episcopalian clergyman.
Dr. Tierney continued to live at 313 Beacon and, until he retired from practice in 1977, also to maintain his office there.
On October 16, 1978, Philip Tierney transferred the property back to his father. One week later, his father died and Rev. Tierney inherited the property from him.
By the late 1970s, 313 Beacon had been converted into apartments (although the Building Department files do not include any record of a change in the legal occupancy).
On September 1, 1983, 313 Beacon was purchased from Philip Tierney by Dorothy F. Wirth, trustee of The Beacon Group Trust. She had acquired 315-317 Beacon the previous month.
In November of 1983, she applied for (and subsequently received) permission to convert 313 Beacon from a single-family dwelling into four apartments.
On December 28, 1983, Dorothy Wirth converted 313-315-317 Beacon into fifteen condominium units, the 313-317 Beacon Condominium, with four units in 313 Beacon (with a separate entrance) and eleven units at 315-317 Beacon (with an entrance at 317 Beacon).