427 Marlborough was designed by architect Obed F. Smith and built in 1886-1887 by Charles A. Dodge, builder, one of three contiguous houses (425-427-429 Marlborough) built for building contractor George Wheatland, Jr., for speculative sale. He is shown as the owner on the original building permit applications for all three houses, all dated October 14, 1886.
As originally built, all three were three stories in height, probably all of the design which survives at 429 Marlborough. By the mid-1890s, and possibly even before they were occupied, additional stories had been added to 425 and 427 Marlborough. All three houses show as 3 story houses on the original permit application and on the 1887 Sanborn map, but 425 and 427 Marlborough show as having four stories on the 1897 Sanborn map and 1898 Bromley map.
By the 1888-1889 winter season, 427 Marlborough was the home of men’s retail clothier David W. Noyes and his wife, Harriet D. (Riley) Noyes. They previously had lived at 8 Greenwich Park. He is shown as the owner of 427 Marlborough on the 1888 and 1898 Bromley maps.
They continued to live at 427 Marlborough during the 1907-1908 winter season, but moved thereafter to Brookline.
John J. O’Connor is shown as the owner of 427 Marlborough on the 1908 Bromley map.
By the 1908-1909 winter season, 427 Marlborough was the home of Dr. Eugene Ellsworth Everett and his wife, Maude Lillian (Gates) Everett. They previously had lived at 138 Huntington. Maude Everett is shown as the owner on the 1912, 1917, and 1928 Bromley maps, and Eugene and Maude Everett are shown as the owners on the 1938 map.
The Everetts continued to live at 427 Marlborough until about 1928, when they moved to Westwood. He continued to maintain his office at 427 Marlborough and converted the remainder of the house into a lodging house.
At about the same time, 425 Marlborough, which had been a lodging house for nurses, changed hands. Miss Helen Goodell Medbury, who operated the lodging house, and a number of the residents moved to 427 Marlborough.
Helen Medbury continued to live at 427 Marlborough and operate a lodging house for nurses until about 1953. Eugene Everett continued to maintain his office there until about the same time.
In 1953, 425 and 427 Marlborough were acquired by Albert Leo Hollingdale. Albert L. Hollingdale et al were the assessed owners from 1954.
In June of 1953, he applied for (and subsequently received) permission to cut openings between the two houses on the basement and first floors. They both continued to be operated as separate lodging houses.
By 1955, 427 Marlborough was operated as the Tabor Hall Dormitory, named for Albert Hollingdale’s wife, Margaret E. (Tabor) Hollingdale (the Hollingdales also operated Hollingdale Hall dormitory at 517 and 519 Beacon). 425 Marlborough appears to have remained a separate lodging house for another year, but then was operated jointly with 427 Marlborough as Tabor Hall.
By the early 1960s, 425 and 427 Marlborough were owned by real estate dealer Hugh Richardson Farrington and his wife, Clara Marcellina (Cormier) Farrington, who operated the buildings as dormitories for Boston University. Hugh Farrington also had acquired 517 and 519 Beacon and operated them, along with 521 Beacon, as BU dormitories.
In April of 1969, Frank L. Shaw purchased 425 and 427 Marlborough from the Farringtons. He continued to operate the properties as lodging houses.
In January of 1973, Alfred J. Greenwood and William Vinal purchased 425 and 427 Marlborough from Frank Shaw. They continued to operate the properties as lodging houses. In April of 1977, William Vinal’s interest in the properties was acquired by Alfred Greenwood.
In May of 1986, 425 and 427 Marlborough were purchased from Alfred Greenwood by Edgard Puente, Gary L. Schechtman, and Sidney Kreitzer.
In June of 1986, they applied for (and subsequently received) permission to convert 425 Marlborough and 427 Marlborough intro five apartments each,
In June of 1987, they converted both buildings into condominium units, five in each building, the 425-427 Marlborough Street Condominium.