180 Commonwealth was designed by George Nelson Jacobs, architect, and built in 1925 for Louis Samuel Koufman, an eight-story, 32-unit apartment house. Louis Koufman is shown as the owner on the original building permit application, dated January 15, 1925.
Jacob Marks is shown as the owner of 180 Commonwealth on the 1928 Bromley map.
By 1938, 180 Commonwealth was owned by the General Commonwealth Corporation.
The property subsequently changed hands and, by 1955, the number of units increased from 32 to 35.
180 Commonwealth (Demolished)
180 Commonwealth was designed by architect Samuel D. Kelley and built in 1883 by William Seavey Rand for speculative sale. He is shown as the owner on the original building permit application, dated April 30, 1883.
By 1885, it was the home of James Melyne Latta and his wife, Elizabeth Potter (Jack) Latta. Elizabeth Latta shown as the owner on the 1888 Bromley map.
James Latta was a real estate and railroad investor. Born in Indiana, he and his wife had lived in Washington DC in the 1860s and 1870s, and were living on a farm in Elkhart, Indiana, at the time of the 1880 US Census. It appears that they moved to Boston when their son, William Jack Latta, attended Harvard (he graduated with the Class of 1889).
They continued to live there during the 1888-1889 winter season.
By the 1889-1890 winter season, 180 Commonwealth was the home of Irving Alonzo Evans and his wife, Lydia Frances (Waterman) Evans. They previously had lived at the Hotel Vendome. Lydia Evans is shown as the owner of 180 Commonwealth on the 1890 Bromley map.
Irving Evans was a stock and bond broker. He committed suicide on October 16, 1891, despondent over his unsuccessful speculations. Lydia Evans continued to live at 180 Commonwealth during the 1891-1892 winter season.
By 1893, 180 Commonwealth was the home of Dr. Henry Orlando Marcy, a physician, and his wife, Sarah Elizabeth (Wendell) Marcy. He also maintained his medical offices there. They previously had lived at 336 Boylston. Sarah E. Marcy is shown as the owner of 180 Commonwealth on the 1895, 1898, and 1908 Bromley maps.
Their son, Henry , Jr., also a physician and surgeon, lived with them. He maintained his medical office both at 180 Commonwealth and at 665 Boylston. He married in May of 1909 to Eleanor Hunnewell Nichols. After their marriage, they lived in Newton; he continued to maintain his office at 180 Commonwealth until about 1912.
Sarah Marcy died in June of 1910. Dr. Marcy continued to live at 180 Commonwealth. Sarah Marcy’s Heirs are shown as the owners on the 1912 and 1917 Bromley maps.
182 Commonwealth (Demolished)
182 Commonwealth was designed by architect William Pitt Wentworth and built in 1879-1880 by Standish & Woodbury, masons, and Creesy & Noyes, carpenters, as the home of marble and granite manufacturer Oliver M. Wentworth and his wife, Melvina (Gill) Wentworth. They previously had lived at 24 Hancock. He is shown as the owner of 182 Commonwealth on the original building permit application, dated October 6, 1879, on the final building inspection report, dated November 5, 1880, and on the 1883, 1888, 1898, 1908, and 1917 Bromley maps.
Melvina Wentworth died in June of 1919. Oliver Wentworth continued to live at 182 Commonwealth. By 1920, he had been joined by Robert Hiram Grace, his private secretary. Robert Grace had been married to Melvina Emogene Gill, the niece of Oliver Wentworth’s wife, Melvina (Melvina (Gill) Grace was the daughter of Mortimer D. Gill; she died in September of 1913). Also living with them was Mrs. Ada R. (Dunn) Lowe, the widow of Charles Edwin Lowe.
Oliver Wentworth died in March of 1922. In his will, he specified that, if “any of the educational institutions to which any legacy is given in this will” supports or maintains a football team, the legacy was revoked.
During the 1922-1923 winter season, 182 Commonwealth was the home of Virginia (Dailey) Harrison, the widow of Dr. Henry H. Harrison. Henry Harrison was a retired dentist engaged in the cranberry packing business. He had died in August of 1922, a suicide.
She continued to live there during the 1923-1924 season, but moved soon thereafter to 270 Bay State Road.
By 1924, it was the home of Margaret Holmes, an art museum clerk. She continued to live there in 1925. Soon thereafter, the house was razed.