29 Fairfield is located on the SW corner of Commonwealth and Fairfield, with 21 Fairfield to the north, across Commonwealth, 31 Fairfield to the south, across Alley 432, 30 Fairfield to east, across Fairfield, and 246 Commonwealth to the west.
29 Fairfield (244 Commonwealth) was designed by William Whitney Lewis, architect, and built ca. 1876. As originally designed, the entrance was on Commonwealth Avenue with the address of 244 Commonwealth. In 1877-1878, a two horse stable was added at the rear of the house, also designed by William Whitney Lewis.
29 Fairfield was equipped with one of the first residential elevators in the Back Bay. In his Houses of Boston’s Back Bay, Bainbridge Bunting indicates “the first residential elevator installation of which we have record is at 29 Fairfield Street in 1876.” However, based on family memoirs, it appears that a residential elevator may have been installed several years earlier at 13 Arlington.
29 Fairfield was built as the home of banker and real estate investor Asa Perkins Potter and his wife, Delle (Sheldon) Potter. They previously had lived at 60 Bowdoin. Asa Potter is shown as the owner on the original permit application for the stable, dated October 31, 1877, on an amendment dated March 21, 1878, and on the final inspection report, dated April 21, 1878.
Delle Potter purchased the 26 foot wife lot for 29 Fairfield on May 31, 1876, from wholesale dry goods merchant George H. Braman. The same day, Asa Potter purchased the land to the west and south from George Braman, with a 30 foot 6 inch frontage on Commonwealth (west of 29 Fairfield) and a 56 foot six inch frontage on the alley (south of 29 Fairfielld) running to Newbury. In October of 1878, Asa Potter entered into an agreement to purchase the land on the east side of Fairfield, between the alley and Newbury. All of the land was part of a parcel previously owned by Nathan Matthews, part of an even larger tract which was purchased by Nathan Matthews on January 2, 1871, from David Sears, Jr., Frederick R. Sears, and Knyvet Sears.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 29 Fairfield.
In 1877-1879, Asa Potter had two blocks of four houses each built on Fairfield on the land between the alley and Newbury: 31-33-35-37 Fairfield on the west and 32-34-36-38 Fairfield on the east.
The Potters continued to live at 29 Fairfield during the 1889-1890 winter season, but moved soon thereafter to 183 Commonwealth. By 1892, they had moved to the Longwood neighborhood of Brookline; they subsequently moved to New York City and then to Rye, New York.
29 Fairfield was not listed in the 1891-1893 Blue Books.
Asa Potter was the president and a principal owner of the Maverick National Bank. In October of 1891, the bank failed and Asa Potter, Jonas H. French (of 128 Commonwealth), the other principal owner of the bank, and Thomas Dana (of 311 Commonwealth), a bank director, were indicted on various charges, including embezzlement and violating federal bank laws.
In the early 1890s, 29 Fairfield was significantly remodeled. In his Houses of Boston’s Back Bay, Bainbridge Bunting notes that, “Although 29 Fairfield was built in 1876, the recessed entrance on Fairfield Street was not added until 1890 when the house was drastically remodeled and the front door was moved from Commonwealth Avenue to Fairfield Street.” This remodeling was designed by William R. Emerson, who is credited as the architect of the house by the American Architect and Building News when it published a photograph of the house in its November of 1892 edition.
The remodeled house encompassed the area at the rear, on the alley, previously occupied by the house’s stable. Within the arched recessed entrance on Fairfield Street, the stairs ran north up to the front door, with a small round window at the porch. The front door later was moved to the south side of the recessed entry, the stairs reversed to run to the south, and the round window relocated to the south of the arch.
On April 3, 1893, 29 Fairfield was purchased from Delle Potter by Arthur Astor Carey. He and his wife, Agnes L. M. (Whiteside) Carey, made it their home. During the previous season, they had lived at the Hotel Agassiz at 191 Commonwealth. They also maintained a home, Creek Farm, in Little Harbor, at Sagamore Creek near Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
A great-grandson of John Jacob Astor, Arthur Carey was an amateur artist, archeologist, astronomer, and musician. In the early 1900s, he became a lay preacher in the New Church and built a non-denominational chapel on his New Hampshire property where he preached during the summer. He founded a reading room, school, and summer camp for boys and girls in Waltham.
The Careys continued to live at 29 Fairfield in during the 1898-1899 winter season, but were no longer listed there in the 1900 Blue Book. He continued to own the house and lease it to others.
During the 1899-1900 winter season, 29 Fairfield was the home of Urban Hanlon Broughton and his wife, Cara Leland (Rogers) Duff Broughton. They previously had lived at 520 Commonwealth.
Urban Broughton was a civil engineer. Originally from England, he had come to the United States in 1887 to consult on the Fairhaven, Massachusetts, sewer system, sponsored by Henry Huddleston Rogers, a principal of Standard Oil. He subsequently married Henry Rogers’s daughter and remained in the United States until 1912, consulting as a civil engineer and later becoming a mining and railroad company executive. After returning to England, he served as a Member of Parliament; he died in January of 1929 during the pendency of his elevation to the peerage. Cara Broughton subsequently was named Lady Fairhaven and his son Baron Fairhaven.
By the 1900-1901 winter season, 29 Fairfield was the home of Charles Hamilton Paine and his wife, Lucy Grundy (Tate) Paine. They previously had lived at 36 Perrin. They also maintained a home in Paris.
Charles Paine was a principal in the investment banking firm of Paine, Webber & Company, founded by his brother, William Alfred Paine, and Wallace G. Webber.
Charles Paine died in September of 1909.
By 1912, 29 Fairfield had become Guild & Evans School for Girls, operated by Miss Fannie Carleton Guild and Miss Jeannie (Jennie) Carter Evans. It was the successor to the Commonwealth Avenue School at 324 Commonwealth, founded by Miss Hannah E. Gilman and Miss Julia R. Gilman, who had retired in about 1910. Fannie Guild had been co-principal of the school with Julia Gilman.
Fannie Guild and Jeannie Evans lived at 29 Fairfield.
The school continued to be located at 29 Fairfield in 1914, but had moved to 255 Newbury by 1915 and then to 200 Commonwealth by 1916. Fannie Guild and Jeannie Evans continued to live at 29 Fairfield until about1919 and may have continued to conduct some school business there, inasmuch as it continued to be listed as a “private school” in the Blue Books through 1920. By 1920, Fannie Guild had retired to Milford, New Hampshire, where she had been born, and Jeannie Evans had retired to Portland, Maine, also where she had been born.
On February 28, 1922, 29 Fairfield was leased from Arthur Carey by Edward P. Hicks and his wife, Maud L. (Gatchell) Hicks. They previously had lived in Jamaica Plain.
Edward Hicks was a salesman, and Maud Gatchell Hicks was a teacher at Emerson College of Oratory. In 1922, she founded the Academy of Speech Arts and operated it at 29 Fairfield. The Academy taught classes in voice building, dramatic art, oratory, and related subjects. The Hickses also provided lodging at 29 Fairfield for several of the teachers in the Academy.
Arthur Carey died in June of 1923 and on November 24, 1924, 29 Fairfield was acquired from his estate by Eda Adams (Woolson) Hurlbut. She and her husband, Byron Satterlee Hurlbut, lived in Cambridge, where he was a professor of English at Harvard (where he had served as dean from 1902 through 1916).
The Hickses continued to live and operate the Academy of Speech Arts at 29 Fairfield until mid-1925, but had moved to 208 Commonwealth by 1926.
On June 16, 1925, 29 Fairfield was acquired from Eda Hurlbut by The Girls’ Friendly Society, which opened a lodge for members there in the fall of 1925. In a November 20, 1925, article announcing its opening, the Boston Globe indicated that it had “living accommodations for 33 girls … with the lower floor given over to clubrooms for members.”
The Girls’ Friendly Society was an international organization affiliated with the Episcopal Church which provided lodging for unmarried young women.
In September of 1928, it acquired 246 Commonwealth next door.
On July 23, 1942, 29 Fairfield and 246 Commonwealth were acquired from The Girls’ Friendly Society by Francis J. Dempsey. He was an elevator operator and probably acquired the property on behalf of attorney and real estate investor Maurice Eli Goldberg.
In April of 1943, Francis Dempsey applied for (and subsequently received) permission to convert 29 Fairfield from a private school and lodging house into a lodging house. On the same day, he filed to convert 246 Commonwealth from a dormitory into a lodging house.
On July 23, 1943, Francis Dempsey transferred 29 Fairfield and 246 Commonwealth to Maurice Goldberg’s wife, Kate D. (Byer) Goldberg.
29 Fairfield was shown as vacant in the 1943 City Directory, and as the Mutual Housing Trust (offering “furnished rooms”) in the 1944-1946 City Directories.
On April 26, 1944, Kate Goldberg transferred 29 Fairfield and 246 Commonwealth to real estate dealer Ray C. Johnson, and on September 22, 1944, he transferred both properties to William A. Sargent. In both cases, the property was held on behalf of the Goldberg family.
In May of 1947, the E. G. Morris Service Company, on Maurice Goldberg’s behalf, filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert 29 Fairfield from a lodging house into three apartments (two on the main floor and one on the second floor) and a lodging house (on the second, third, and fourth floors). In August of 1947, it filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property into twelve apartments.
On November 12, 1947, William Sargent transferred 29 Fairfield and 246 Commonwealth to Walter Gainey, who held them on Maurice Goldberg’s behalf, and on March 9, 1969, Walter Gainey transferred both properties to Maurice Goldberg as trustee of the Maurice E. Goldberg Charitable and Educational Trust.
On July 22, 1976, the trust sold 29 Fairfield to his daughter, Barbara (Goldberg) Weingarden (a resident of St. Louis, Minnesota). At the same time, it also sold her 234 Beacon, and sold her brother, Richard H. Goldberg (a resident of Tuckahoe, New York), 113 Commonwealth, 207 Commonwealth and 246 Commonwealth.
On January 11, 1978, 29 Fairfied was purchased from Barbara Weingarden by Kent T. Damon and Irwin H. Frankel.
The property changed hands and on September 21, 1979, was purchased by Anthony M. Rando, trustee of the 29 Fairfield Trust. In November of 1979, he filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property from twelve apartments into five apartments.
On December 12, 1979, he converted the property into five condominium units, the 29 Fairfield Street Condominium.