443 Beacon was designed by Charles H. Davies and built ca. 1872 for Daniel Davies, one of four contiguous houses (443-445-447-449 Beacon), three built ca. 1872 and the fourth (449 Beacon) built in 1876.
Daniel Davies and his son, Charles, were master carpenters. Daniel Davies’s daughter, Susan, was married to Grenville T. W. Braman, treasurer of the Boston Water Power Company, which owned much of the land in the northwest portion of the Back Bay, including the land where 443-449 Beacon were built. At the time they were built, they were the farthest west houses built on Beacon Street.
By 1875, 443 Beacon was the home of Grenville Braman’s brother, Jarvis Dwight Braman, who was president of the Boston Water Power Company, and his wife, Amelia Coverley (Finnegan) Braman. They had lived at 38 Charles in 1874. No owner is shown on the 1874 Hopkins map; Amelia Braman is shown as the owner on the 1883 and 1888 Bromley maps.
Jarvis Braman died in October of 1888. Amelia Braman continued to live at 443 Beacon with their son, Dwight Braman, a banker and broker, and daughter, Lillie (Lila) Amelia Braman. Also living with her may have been their son, Edward H. Braman, and their daughter, Lucy C. Braman.
Amelia Braman died in 1890, and Dwight Braman and Lillie Braman continued to live at 443 Beacon. A. C. Braman’s Heirs are shown as the owners on the 1895 and 1898 Bromley maps.
During the 1894-1895 winter season, the Braman family was living elsewhere and 443 Beacon was the home of Mrs. Katherine Peabody (Converse) Blagden, the widow of Edward Reynolds Blagden, who had died in August of 1894 in Chicago.
By the 1896-1897 winter season, the Braman siblings were living at 443 Beacon once again.
Lucy Braman married in April of 1896 to Charles A. Johnson, a real estate dealer, and moved to Denver.
In about 1902, Dwight Braman moved to New York City, where he married in January of 1904 to Helen Stuyvesant Dudley. He continued as a banker and stockbroker until his retirement in 1926. Lillie Braman also moved from 443 Beacon in about 1902.
443 Beacon was not listed in the 1903 Blue Book, and (with one exception) the Bramans were no longer listed there in later Blue Books. However, they continued to own the house. Lila A. Braman is shown as the owner on the 1908 and 1912 Bromley maps; she died in April of 1915 and Dwight Braman is shown as the owner on the 1917 and 1928 maps. Dwight Braman died in June of 1929 but continued to be the assessed owner (presumably his estate) through 1934. Jarvis D. B. Johnson (Charles and Lucy (Braman) Johnson’s son) et al were the assessed owners in 1935.
443 Beacon was not listed in the 1903 Blue Book.
During the 1903-1904 winter season, 443 Beacon was the home of paper manufacturer Charles Vose and his wife, Mary Ann Barrett (Hersey) Vose. Earlier in 1903, they had lived at 285 Beacon. By 1905, they were living in East Walpole.
By the 1904-1905 winter season, 443 Beacon was the home of Dr. Edward Allen Pease, a physician, and his wife, Margaret Caldwell (Mohler) Pease. He also maintained his medical offices there. They previously had lived at the Hotel Cambridge at 483 Beacon. They continued to live at 443 Beacon (and he to maintain his office there) during the 1906-1907 winter season, but moved thereafter and by 1909 were living in Brookline.
During the 1908-1909 winter season, 443 Beacon was the home of attorney Charles Eustis Hubbard and his wife, Caroline Dennie (Tracy) Hubbard. They had lived at 413 Beacon during the previous season. They continued to live at 443 Beacon during the 1910-1911 season, but moved thereafter to 12 Hereford.
443 Beacon was not listed in the 1912 Blue Book.
By the 1912-1913 winter season, 443 Beacon was the home and medical office of Dr. Franklin Spilman Newell. He previously had lived at 379 Beacon.
Franklin Newell was an obstetrician and professor of obstetrics at Harvard Medical School. He was unmarried.
During the 1912-1913 winter season, Lillie (Lila) Braman lived at 443 Beacon along with Dr. Newell. She had moved by the next season and was living in Topsfield at the time of her death in April of 1915.
By the 1913-1914 winter season, Dr. Robert Henry Vose, a physician, also lived and maintained medical office at 443 Beacon. He previously had lived and maintained his medical office with Dr. Robert Soutter at 53 Hereford. Dr. Vose continued to live (and maintain his office) at 443 Beacon during the 1920-1921 winter season, after which he moved to Milton, where he lived with his unmarried sister, Elizabeth Vose.
By 1936, 443 Beacon was owned by Benjamin George Brooker, a certified public accountant and real estate dealer, who was the assessed owner from that year and is shown as the owner on the 1938 Bromley map. He continued to own the property in the mid-1950s, and probably later.
Benjamin Brooker remodeled 433 Beacon into apartments, including eliminating the mansard roof and expanding top floor. The Building Department’s records do not include the permit application for this remodeling, but the plans, drawn by architectural engineer Manning Waters (Mendal Waters), are included in the City of Boston Blueprints Collection in the Boston Public Library’s Arts Department (reference BIN P-131).
Benjamin Brooker lived at 545 Blue Hill Avenue in Roxbury in 1936. In 1937, he lived in one of the apartments at 443 Beacon. By 1939, he had moved to Newton.
The property changed hands and in June of 1978 was acquired by Robert White.
443 Beacon remained an apartment house in 2015.