441 Beacon was designed by architect George Alden Avery and built in 1887-1888 by his father, Alden Avery, a builder, for speculative sale. Alden and George A. Avery are shown as the owners on the original building permit application, dated May 10, 1887.
Alden Avery purchased the land for 441 Beacon on December 7, 1886, from Reuben Augustine Demmon. He had purchased it on May 2, 1883, from Jarvis Dwight Braman, president of the Boston Water Power Company. He and his wife, Amelia Coverley (Finnegan) Braman, lived at 443 Beacon, and he included language in the deed to Reuben Demmon specifying that the front of any house built at 441 Beacon be set back from Beacon the same distance as 443 Beacon and that the rear not extend more than two feet further south than the rear of 443 Beacon.
Jarvis Braman had purchased the land on December 13, 1872, from Daniel Davies, a housewright and master carpenter, part of a larger parcel Daniel Davies had purchased on June 20, 1868, from the Boston Water Power Company.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 441 Beacon, and click here for further information on the land on the south side of Beacon between Hereford and Massachusetts Avenue.
On October 15, 1888, 441 Beacon was purchased from Alden Avery by Francis Edward Bacon, a broker and commission merchant. He and his wife, Louisa (Crowninshield) Bacon, made it their home. They previously had lived at 398 Beacon. They also maintained a home in Mattapoisett.
During the 1889-1890 winter season, the Bacons were living elsewhere and 441 Beacon was the home John Eliot Sanford and his wife, Emily Jane (White) Sanford. Their primary residence was in Taunton.
John Sanford was an attorney and former member of the State Senate and State House of Representative, having served as Speaker of the House in the early 1870s. From 1882 to 1892, he was Chairman of the State Harbor and Land Commission, and from 1892 to 1899 he was Chairman of the State Railroad Commission.
The Sanfords had moved from 441 Beacon by the 1890-1891 season, and by the 1891-1892 season were living at 292 Marlborough.
By the 1890-1891 winter season, 441 Beacon was once again the Bacons’ home. They continued to live there during the 1894-1895 season, but moved thereafter, making Mattapoisett their primary residence. They continued to own 441 Beacon and lease it to others.
During the 1895-1896 winter season, 441 Beacon was the home of dry goods commission merchant Joseph Sargent, Jr., and his wife, Nellie Louise (McClure) Sargent. They previously had lived at 235 Commonwealth. They also maintained a home in Magnolia. By the 1896-1897 winter season, they had moved to 166 Marlborough.
In 1897, 441 Beacon was the home of Perkins Bass and his wife, Clara (Foster) Bass. They previously had lived at 222 Beacon. They also maintained a home in Peterborough, New Hampshire. Perkins Bass had been an attorney in Chicago and served as US District Attorney for Northern Illinois during the Lincoln Administration. They had moved by the 1897-1898 winter season, probably to Peterborough, where they were living at the time of his death in October of 1899.
By the 1897-1898 winter season, 441 Beacon was the home of Lydia Bowman (Baker) Edwards Taft, the widow of John Hughes Edwards and of Orray Augustus Taft, Jr. She also maintained a home in Milton. She continued to live at 441 Beacon during the 1898-1899 season, but moved thereafter to 341 Marlborough.
During the 1899-1900 winter season, 441 Beacon was the home of Charles A. King and his wife, Gertrude Frances (Wright) King. They previously had lived at The Charlesgate at 535 Beacon.
Charles and Gertrude King had come to Boston in about 1872 from England. He was a brewer and owned the Continental Brewing Company. In August of 1900, Continental and nine other companies merged to become the Massachusetts Breweries Company. In October of 1901, Charles King purchased 41 Commonwealth, where they subsequently moved.
During the 1900-1901 winter season, 441 Beacon was the home of Abbie Bartlett (Adams) Worthington, the widow of Roland Worthington, publisher of The Daily Evening Traveller newspaper. She previously had lived at 9 Hawthorn in Roxbury. By the 1901-1902 season, she had moved to 471 Beacon.
On June 20, 1901, 441 Beacon was purchased from Francis E. Bacon by Maria Louisa (Alexander) Richards Aldrich, the widow of Reuben Francis Richards and wife of Charles Frost Aldrich. The Aldriches lived in Canton and leased the house to others.
By the 1902-1903 winter season, 441 Beacon was the home of retired cotton manufacturer Moses Brown Lockwood Bradford and his wife, Florence (Hoar) Bradford. They had lived in an apartment at the Hotel Royal at 295-297 Beacon in 1902. They also maintained a home in Concord.
They continued to live at 441 Beacon during the 1903-1904 season, but moved thereafter to 102 Beacon.
Charles Aldrich died in March of 1904, and by the 1904-1905 winter season, Maria Louisa (Alexander) Richards Aldrich had moved to 441 Beacon. Her children — Junius Alexander Richards, Louisa Beverly Richards, and Lillian Aldrich — lived with her.
Maria Aldrich and her children continued to live at 441 Beacon during the 1918-1919 winter season. During that season, they were joined by Major Donald Armstrong and his wife, Frances Richards (Newcomb) Armstrong. Frances Armstrong was the niece of Maria Aldrich’s first husband, Reuben Richards (she was the daughter of Warren Putnam Newcomb and Caroline Frances (Richards) Newcomb). Donald Armstrong was a career military officer who served in World War I and World War II, retiring in 1946 as a Brigadier General.
By the 1919-1920 winter season, Maria Aldrich had moved to an apartment at 421 Marlborough. She continued to own 441 Beacon and lease it to others.
During the 1919-1920 winter season, 441 Beacon was the home of Rear Admiral Herbert Omar Dunn, commandant of the Charlestown Navy Yard, and his wife, Eleanor (Cameron) Walker Palmer Dunn. Eleanor Dunn’s niece, Miss Eleanor Cameron Opie (daughter of John Opie, II, and Margaret Keyser (Cameron) Opie of Baltimore), lived with them. By the next season, they had moved to 465 Beacon.
During the 1920-1921 winter season, 441 Beacon was the home of Austin Staats Kibbee and his wife, Ruth Lewis (Crossett) Appleton Kibbee. They previously had lived in Cambridge. A retired naval officer, he was a shoe manufacturer in his father-in-law’s firm, the Crossett Shoe Company, of which he would later become president and treasurer. By the next season, they had moved to 209 Bay State Road.
In 1922, 441 Beacon was once again the home of Junius Alexander Richards, the son of Maria Louisa (Alexander) Richards Aldrich. He had graduated from Harvard in 1916. Also living at 441 Beacon was George A. Brown.
During the 1922-1923 winter season, 441 Beacon was the home of Shepard Krech and his wife, Mary Stevens (Chapin) Krech. They previously had lived at 393 Beacon.
During the 1923-1924 winter season, 441 Beacon was the home of banker Louis Curtis, Jr., and his wife, Mary Sloan (Colt) Curtis. They previously had lived at 447 Beacon. By the next season, they had moved to 115 Marlborough.
During the 1924-1925 winter season, 441 Beacon was the home of Arthur Cecil Butler and his wife, Cicely (Hyland) Butler. In 1923, they had lived at 162 Riverway. He was an importer of textile machinery. By the next season, they had moved to 302 Berkeley.
On August 19, 1925, 441 Beacon was acquired from Maria Louisa Aldrich by Zenas Crocker, Jr.
On November 3, 1925, 441 Beacon was acquired from Zenas Crocker, Jr., by Lambda Zeta of Lambda Chi Alpha, Inc., to be the fraternity house of the MIT Chapter (Lambda Zeta) of Lambda Chi Alpha. It previously had been located at 463 Commonwealth.
441 Beacon remained the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity house until about 1961, when it moved to 99 Bay State Road.
On November 22, 1961, 441 Beacon was acquired by Nubar J. Dinjian, John H. Ayvazian, Jr., and George Nazarian, trustees of the Penwood Realty Trust. That same month, the trust filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property from a fraternity (lodging house) into ten apartments.
On October 1, 1962, 441 Beacon was acquired from the Penwood Realty Trust by Edward Martin Degener and his wife, Josephine Bennett (Mitchell) Degener. They lived at 46 Pinckney.
On April 24, 1967, 441 Beacon was acquired from the Degeners by Robert White. On February 1, 1991, he transferred the property to Charles White Management, Inc.
441 Beacon remained an apartment house in 2017.