441 Marlborough was built in 1885 for Chadwick & Stillings, for speculative sale, one of eight contiguous houses (431-445 Marlborough). Chadwick & Stillings (N. Henry Chadwick and Oscar L. Stillings) was a hat block and flange company that became a significant house building firm in the 1880s and 1890s. They are shown as the owners, architects, and builders on the original building permit application for 441 Marlborough, dated June 16, 1885, and on the final building inspection report, dated November 13, 1886.
By the 1887-1888 winter season, 441 Marlborough was the home of banker Daniel Bunker Hallett and his wife, Sarah Anna P. (Emery) Hallett. They previously had lived at 26 Concord Square. She is shown as the owner of 441 Marlborough on the 1888 and 1898 Bromley maps.
Sarah Anna Hallett’s mother, Frances Gorham (Brewster) Emery, the widow of Moses Gill Jefferson Emery, lived with them until her death in January of 1889.
The Halletts continued to live at 441 Marlborough during the 1889-1890 winter season, but moved thereafter to the Hotel Oxford (southeast corner of Exeter and Huntington). They subsequently moved to The Ericson at 373 Commonwealth and then in 1900 to the Hotel Tuileries at 270 Commonwealth.
The Halletts continued to own 441 Marlborough. Sarah Anna Hallett died December of 1905, and Daniel Hallett is shown as the owner on the 1908 and 1917 Bromley maps.
By the 1890-1891 winter season, 441 Marlborough was the home of William Henry Bowker, president of the Bowker Fertilizer Company, and his wife, Charlotte Jeanette (Ryder) Bowker. They previously had lived at 250 West Newton.
They continued to live at 441 Marlborough during the 1903-1904 winter season, but moved thereafter to 403 Beacon.
By the 1904-1905 winter season, 441 Marlborough was the home of Mrs. Ella Louise (Utley) Swain Cummings. She continued to live there during the 1905-1906 winter season, but moved thereafter to an apartment at The Charlesgate at 535 Beacon.
By the 1906-1907 winter season, 441 Marlborough was the home of Dr. Daniel Crosby Greene, Jr., and his wife, Marion (Lockwood) Greene. They previously had lived in an apartment at 479 Beacon.
D. Crosby Greene, Jr., was a physician specializing in the nose and throat. He maintained his office at 483 Beacon.
The Greenes continued to live at 441 Marlborough until mid-1912, when they moved to Newton Centre.
By the 1912-1913 winter season, 441 Marlborough was the home of real estate trustee Harris Hooper Lawrence and his wife, Theodora Maria (Eldredge) Lawrence. They previously had lived at The Stratford apartments at 31 Massachusetts Avenue.
They continued to live at 441 Marlborough during the 1918-1919 winter season, but moved thereafter to Brookline. By the 1923-1924 winter season, they were living at 470 Beacon.
By 1920, 441 Marlborough was the home of Miss Mary Ellen Waller, the niece of Daniel B. Hallett (daughter of his brother-in-law and sister, David Francis Waller and Mary Doane Hallett). She previously had lived in Brookline with her mother, who died in April of 1919.
Mary Waller was a prolific novelist whose career spanned from about 1890 to 1931 (although born Mary Ellen Waller, she wrote under the name Mary Ella Waller). At least one of her books, Deep in the Hearts of Men, published in 1924, was written while she lived at 441 Marlborough.
By 1922, she was joined by her uncle, Daniel Hallett, who had been living at the Hotel Tuileries at 270 Commonwealth. They continued to live at 441 Marlborough until about 1925, when they moved to Washington DC.
By the 1927, 441 Marlborough was the home of John (Jack) J. Mills and his wife, Hazel Beatrice (McIntyre) Mills, who operated it as a lodging house. They previously had lived at 377 Commonwealth. They continued to live at 441 Marlborough in 1928, but by 1929 had moved to an apartment at 421 Marlborough, where they also accepted lodgers.
Martha Cogan is shown as the owner of 441 Marlborough on the 1928 Bromley map.
441 Marlborough was not listed in the 1929-1931 Lists of Residents and was shown as vacant in the 1930 and 1931 City Directories.
By 1932, 441 Marlborough was the home of Mrs. Julia (Margot) Bushman, the former wife of Victor Carl Bushman. She previously had lived in an apartment at 194 Huntington. Her uncle, William E. Felt, a printer, lived with her and operated his business, the Felt Press, from 441 Marlborough.
Marie L. Margot, possibly Julia Margot’s sister, is shown as the owner of 441 Marlborough on the 1938 Bromley map.
By 1945, 441 Marlborough was the home of Mrs. Martha M. (Roy) Gotreau, the widow of David B. Gotreau, who operated it as a lodging house. She also owned 437 Marlborough, also a lodging house, where her son, Joffre Gotreau lived in 1944.
Joffre Gotreau moved briefly to 441 Marlborough in 1945. By 1946, he had moved to 261 Marlborough, where he operated a lodging house. He also was listed in the City Directories as operator of the lodging houses at 437 and 441 Marlborough.
Martha Gotreau continued to live at 441 Marlborough and to own 437 Marlborough. By 1954, she also had acquired 439 Marlborough; Joffre Gotreau (still living at 261 Marlborough) was shown as the operator of the lodging houses at 437-439-441 Marlborough until the early 1960s.
The Gotreau family continued to operate the lodging houses at 437-441 Marlborough until the mid-1960s. Martha Gotreau lived at 441 Marlborough until about 1960, after which she moved to 437 Marlborough, where she continued to live until about 1966.
In June of 1967, Milton B. Popkin and Louis Grolnic purchased 437-439-441 Marlborough from Martha Gotreau. They continued to operate them as lodging houses.
In April of 1974, Jerald R. Feldman and Harvey P. Wilk, trustees of the 437, 439, 441 Marlboro Street Realty Trust, purchased the three houses from Milton Popkin and Louis Grolnic. They continued to operate them as lodging houses.
In March of 1983, Barry D. Libert, trustee of the 441 Marlborough Realty Trust, purchased 441 Marlborough from Jerald Feldman and Harvey Wilk. That same month, he filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property from a single-family dwelling into four apartments. In May of 1983, he amended his permit application to extend the “existing roof line to enclose existing roof area.”
In May of 1985, Barry Libert converted 441 Marlborough into four condominium units, the 441 Marlborough Condominium.