George Homans Wetherell was born on June 2, 1854, in Boston, son of John G. Wetherell and his wife, Mary Minot Bradlee (daughter of John Wilkes Bradlee)
He married on November 8, 1883, in Boston, to Clara Louisa Cumings (b. 7Jun1862 in Boston; d. 13Nov1893 in Brookline), daughter of John W. Cumings and his wife, Abba M. Clark.
George Wetherell died on May 28, 1930.
George Wetherell was educated at MIT and the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris.
In mid-1882, he became a partner with Nathaniel J. Bradlee and Walter T. Winslow, forming Bradlee, Winslow, and Wetherell (Bradlee and Winslow had been partners since 1872). After Bradlee’s death in 1888, the firm continued as Winslow and Wetherell. In the early 1890s, Henry Forbes Bigelow joined the office and in 1898 it became Winslow, Wetherell, and Bigelow. In about 1901, George Wetherell left the firm and it became Winslow and Bigelow.
Among Winslow and Wetherell’s works were the New England Building in Kansas City, Missouri (1887); the Auchmuty Building at 120 Kingston in Boston (1889); the Shreve, Crump & Low Building on Tremont (1890); the Edison Building on Atlantic Avenue (1891); the Castle Square Hotel and Theatre on Tremont (1894); Steinert Hall (1896) on Boylston, the Hotel Touraine at the corner of Tremont and Boylston (1897), the S. S. Pierce Building at Coolidge Corner in Brookline (1898), and the Jewellers Building on Washington and Bromfield (1898).
Winslow and Wetherell also are credited with designing many of the buildings of the Baker’s Chocolate factory in Dorchester.
George Wetherell continued to practice alone in 1916, but had retired by 1920.
Back Bay Work