Walter Thacher Winslow was born February 13, 1843, in Cambridge, the son of Elisha D. Winslow and his wife Nancy Healey.
He married on November 15, 1871, in Brewster, to Sarah Louise Sears (b. 1844-1845 in Brewster; d. by 1900), daughter of Joseph H. Sears and his wife Olive Bangs (daughter of Elkanah Bangs).
Walter Winslow died on January 31, 1909, in Boston.
Walter Winslow was educated at a private school near Boston, and then joined the offices of architect Nathaniel J. Bradlee in Boston. He served briefly in the Civil War and then studied in Paris.
He returned to the offices of Nathaniel J. Bradlee and in 1872 became a partner in the firm of Bradlee and Winslow.
In 1882, George Homans Wetherell joined the firm, which became Bradlee, Winslow, and Wetherell. After Bradlee’s death in 1888, the firm continued as Winslow and Wetherell. In the early 1890s, Henry Forbes Bigelow joined the office and in 1898 it became Winslow, Wetherell, and Bigelow.
In about 1901, George Wetherell left the firm and it became Winslow and Bigelow, which it remained until Walter Winslow’s death in January of 1909.
Among Winslow and Wetherell’s works were the New England Building in Kansas City, Missouri (1887); the Auchmuty Building at 120 Kingston in Boston (1889); the Shreve, Crump & Low Building on Tremont (1890); the Edison Building on Atlantic Avenue (1891); the Castle Square Hotel and Theatre on Tremont (1894); Steinert Hall (1896) on Boylston, the Hotel Touraine at the corner of Tremont and Boylston (1897), the S. S. Pierce Building at Coolidge Corner in Brookline (1898), and the Jewellers Building on Washington and Bromfield (1898).
Winslow and Wetherell also are credited with designing many of the buildings of the Baker’s Chocolate factory in Dorchester.
For more information on Walter Winslow and his partnership with Nathaniel J. Bradlee, click here.
Back Bay Work