Sturgis and Brigham was a partnership of John Hubbard Sturgis and Charles Brigham, formed in 1866. Brigham previously had been a draftsman in Gridley J. F. Bryant‘s office, where he met Sturgis, who was employed as an architect there. From September of 1866 to September of 1870, Sturgis lived in England and Brigham oversaw most of the firm’s work.
Sturgis and Brigham remained in partnership until 1886. John Sturgis’s nephew, R. Clipston Sturgis, took over his practice, and Charles Brigham formed a new partnership with John Calvin Spofford. John Sturgis retired in May of 1887 and died in February of 1888.
In addition to a number of residential and commercial buildings, Sturgis and Brigham’s works included notable public buildings, including the Church of the Advent (1875-1876) at the foot of Beacon Hill (which Douglass Shand-Tucci’s Built in Boston calls one of the two “significant bridges” to the Gothic Revival style); the first Boston Museum of Fine Arts, on Copley Square (1876-1879), designed in Medieval-style with extensive use of terra-cotta; and the Y.M.C.A. building at the southwest corner of Boylston and Berkeley (1882, destroyed by fire in 1910).
Back Bay Work
187091 Marlborough (Remodeling)
|1869||317 Dartmouth (Demolished)|
|1870||16 Marlborough (Remodeling)|
|1881||150 Beacon (Remodeling; Demolished)|
|1881||152 Beacon (Remodeling; Demolished)|
|1882||239 Commonwealth (22 Fairfield)|
|1882||306 Dartmouth (Remodeling)|