282 Marlborough is located on the SW corner of Marlborough and Fairfield, with 276 Marlborough (16 Fairfield) to the east, across Fairfield, 284 Marlborough to the west, 5 Fairfield to the north, across Marlborough, and 7 Fairfield to the south.
282 Marlborough was designed by Ware and Van Brunt, architects, and built in 1872 for building contractor George Martin Gibson, for speculative sale. At the same time, Ware and Van Brunt also designed six additional houses for George Gibson, 7-9 Fairfield (contiguous with 282 Marlborough but in a different style) and 284-286-288-290-292 Marlborough. George Gibson received a permit in early June of 1872 to build all eight houses (reported in the Boston Herald on June 8, 1872).
George Gibson acquired the land for 282-292 Marlborough and 7-9 Fairfield on March 22, 1872, from Edward John Hale, who was associated with John M. Forbes & Co., shipping merchants and investors in railroads, mining, and other enterprises. Edward Hale and his wife, Justine Elise (Sewell) Hale, lived at 3 Brimmer. Edward Hale assembled the parcel through three purchases in October and December of 1870. All of the land was part of one of several parcels originally purchased from the Boston Water Power Company on January 29, 1866, by a real estate investment trust formed by John Templeman Coolidge, Franklin Evans, and Charles Henry Parker. The trust had subdivided the property into lots, which it sold to investors and builders, who then frequently resold the lots to others.
The houses at 282 Marlborough and 7-9 Fairfield were designed with a 12 foot 4 inch open area between them and the house to the west at 284 Marlborough, forming the side yard of 282 Marlborough and the rear yards of 7-9 Fairfield. When he sold the houses, George Gibson included language in the deeds specifying the right of 284 Marlborough to maintain bay windows and chimneys extending over this space. The deeds also provided for a three foot six inch wide easement at the rear yard of 284 Marlborough to provide for passage to the alley for 7 Fairfield and for drainage to the alley for 7 Fairfield and 282 Marlborough, and an easement under the rear yard of 7 Fairfield, running diagonally to the passageway in the rear of 284 Marlborough, to provide for drainage to the alley for 282 Marlborough.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 282 Marlborough, and click here for further information about the land between the south side of Marlborough and Alley 427, from Fairfield to Gloucester.
As originally built, 282 Marlborough was three stories (plus basement) and had a mansard roof and turreted bay on the corner. In the early 1900s it was remodeled to add a fourth story, eliminating the turret and the mansard roof.
On October 1, 1872, 282 Marlborough was purchased from George Gibson by real estate dealer Alexander Sylvanus Porter. He and his wife, Mary Otis (Cushing) Porter, lived at 22 Brimmer.
On February 10, 1873, 282 Marlborough was acquired from Alexander Porter by Robert Treat Paine, Jr.. He was an attorney noted for his social reform work, including building affordable housing for lower income workers. He and his wife, Lydia Williams (Lyman) Paine, lived at 6 Mt. Vernon Place and in Waltham.
On September 1, 1874, 282 Marlborough was purchased from Robert Treat Paine, Jr., by Kate (Benjamin) Marcus, the wife of African diamond merchant Alfred Abraham Marcus. They lived at 170 West Canton. On September 16, 1874, it was acquired from her by real estate dealer Henry Bigelow Williams, and on September 1, 1875, it was acquired from him by Samuel P. Allen.
On March 30, 1876, Gertrude Moore, who held a mortgage given by George M. Gibson that had been assumed by the subsequent owners of 282 Marlborough, foreclosed and sold the property to William Dudley Cotton.
W. Dudley Cotton was a shipping merchant in the West Indies trade with his father, Dudley Page Cotton, in the firm of Cotton & Haley. He and his wife, Elizabeth Emery (Kehew) Cotton, lived in Dorchester.
282 Marlborough was not listed in the 1876-1877 Blue Books, and It appears that it had been vacant, or at least not occupied by a longterm resident, since it was built.
During the 1877-1878 winter season, it was the home of James Lee, Jr. and his wife, Frances (Van Dusen) Lee. They previously had lived at 122 Commonwealth. He was owner of the Middlesex Bleachery.
He died in April of 1878, and by 1879, Frances Lee had moved to the Hotel Agassiz at 191 Commonwealth.
By the 1878-1879 winter season, 282 Marlborough was the home of H. P. Wilbur and T. F. Patterson, probably commission merchant Hannibal Prescott Wilbur and his wife, Hattie (Wyman) Wilbur, and Thomas F. Patterson and his wife, Flora (Wilbur) Patterson. The Wilburs previously lived in Neponset, and the Pattersons previously lived in Jamaica Plain. Hannibal Wilbur and Flora (Wilbur) Patterson do not appear to have been closely related.
By the 1880-1881 winter season, 282 Marlborough was the home of Emmeline (Dabney) Paterson Stackpole, widow of Adam Paterson and of John Ward Gurley Stackpole, her son, Dr. Frederick Dabney Stackpole, a physician, and probably her daughters, Emeline D. Stackpole and Roxanna Stackpole. They previously had lived at 299 Marlborough.
W. Dudley Cotton’s father, Dudley Page Cotton, died in July of 1880, and on February 24, 1882, W. Dudley Cotton transferred 282 Marlborough to the trustees named in his father’s will (himself, his brother Nathaniel Hugh Cotton, and Francis V. Balch), so that the property would be managed in conjunction with the rest of Dudley Page Cotton’s estate.
During the 1885-1886 winter season, 282 Marlborough was the home of insurance broker George Hayward Binney and his wife, Edith Barrett (Marsh) Binney. They had married in October of 1884 and had lived at the Hotel Guilford at 220 Clarendon during the previous season.
In March of 1886, they commissioned a new house to be built at 275 Marlborough, where they moved upon its completion.
By the 1886-1887 winter season, 282 Marlborough was the home of Lelia M. (Long) Daniels, the widow of William H. Daniels. Their son, Alanson Long Daniels, and her sister, M. Emily Long, lived with her.
Also living with her in 1887, as lodgers, were Joshua Granville Nickerson, an oil merchant, and his wife, Anna C. (Bassett) Nickerson. They previously had lived at 356 Commonwealth, and by 1888 had moved to 17 Beacon.
Mrs. Daniels, Alanson Daniels, and Emily Long continued to live at 282 Marlborough during the 1887-1888 season, but moved thereafter to 378 Newbury.
282 Marlborough was not listed in the 1889 Blue Book.
On November 12, 1889, 282 Marlborough was acquired from the Cotton trust (conveyed through Thomas A. Wood) by the Proprietors of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Boston. It became the home of the church’s rector, Rev. John S. Lindsay, and his wife, Caroline (Smith) Lindsay. They previously had lived in Washington DC, where he had been minister at St. John’s Church from 1879 to 1887, and was chaplain of the House of Representatives for two years during that period.
Rev. Lindsay died in November of 1903. Caroline Lindsay continued to live at 282 Marlborough in 1905, but had moved to an apartment at 222-224 Marlborough by 1906.
By the 1905-1906 winter season, 282 Marlborough was the home of Bishop Thomas A. Jaggar and his wife, Anna Louise (Lawrence) Jaggar. He was named Rector of St. Paul’s Church, succeeding Rev. Lindsay, in 1905. He previously had served as Episcopal Bishop of Ohio.
Bishop Jaggar resigned in October of 1907 and they moved from 282 Marlborough at about that time. They were living in Newton in August of 1908 at the time of Anna Louise Jaggar’s death.
By the 1907-1908 winter season, 282 Marlborough was the home of Rev. William Howard Falkner and his wife, May Anna (Spalding) Falkner. In October of 1907, he succeeded Bishop Jaggar as Rector of St. Paul’s Church. Rev. Falkner died in June of 1909.
On September 17, 1910, 282 Marlborough was acquired from St. Paul’s Church by Washington Butcher Thomas. He and his wife, Caroline (Wadleigh) Thomas,lived at 20 Gloucester.
Washington Thomas was an executive of the Standard Sugar Refinery, which had been owned by his father, Joseph B. Thomas, and later would become president of the American Sugar Refining Company. A major investor in real estate, in 1895, he built The Marlborough apartment house at 416 Marlborough, and in 1898-1899, he built the Hotel Cambridge at 483-485 Beacon.
282 Marlborough was not listed in the 1910 and 1911 Blue Books. It was probably at about this time that the house was remodeled to eliminate the mansard roof and turreted corner bay and add another story (it is shown as being three stories on the 1908 Bromley map and four stories on the 1912 map).
By the 1911-1912 winter season, 282 Marlborough was the home of Washington and Caroline Thomas’s son-in-law and daughter, Samuel Dennis Warren, III, and Helen (Thomas) Warren. They previously had lived at 261 Marlborough with his parents, Samuel Dennis Warren Jr. and Mabel (Bayard) Warren.
Samuel Warren was a paper manufacturer with his family’s firm, S. D. Warren & Company.
The Warrens continued to live at 282 Marlborough during the 1918-1919 winter season, but spent the next two seasons at 20 Gloucester with Helen Warren’s parents.
During the 1919-1920 winter season, 282 Marlborough was the home of banker Robert Sturgis Potter and his wife, Dorothy (Tweedy) Potter. By the next season, they had moved to 107 Beacon.
282 Marlborough was not listed in the 1921 Blue Book.
By the 1921-1922 winter season, the Warrens were once again living at 282 Marlborough. They continued to live there in 1924, but by 1925 had moved to his family’s home at 261 Marlborough after his mother’s death in May of 1924.
On July 24, 1924, 282 Marlborough was purchased from Washington B. Thomas by Harrison Gardner Reynolds and his wife, Jean (Fletcher) Reynolds. They previously had lived in an apartment at The Colonial at 382 Commonwealth. They also maintained a home in Manchester, Massachusetts.
He was a manufacturer of silk hosiery in the early 1930s, and a banker by 1935.
Harrison and Jean Reynolds continued to live at 282 Marlborough until about 1941. From about 1943 through 1946, they were living in Washington DC, where Harrison Reynolds served in the US Army Air Corps, retiring as a colonel in 1946. After the war, they moved back to Massachusetts and he served with the Central Intelligence Agency, retiring in 1957. While they were in Washington, they continued to own 282 Marlborough and lease it to others.
By 1942, 282 Marlborough was the home of Louisa Blair (Rogers) Stanwood, the widow of Francis Manning Stanwood, who had been owner and editor of the Boston Journal and later president of the Hotel and Railroad News Company. Their unmarried adult children, Louise Rogers Stanwood and Francis Manning Stanwood Jr., lived with her.
282 Marlborough was shown as vacant in the 1943 City Directory and was not listed in the 1943 List of Residents.
By 1944, 282 Marlborough was the home of John J. McMullen and his wife, Rita (Fanning) McMullen. He was a Lieutenant in the U. S. Navy. They continued to live there until about 1946.
By 1947, Harrison and Jean Reynolds were once again living at 282 Marlborough. They continued to live there in 1948, but moved thereafter.
On September 29, 1948, 282 Marlborough was acquired from the Reynoldses by Julius J. Hensle, a manager with the Fuller Brush Company, and his daugthter, Bertha (Hensle) Mahoney, the wife of William J. Mahoney. Julius Hensle and the Mahoneys made it their home. They all previously had lived in Wellesley Hills, where his wife, Louise L. (Briesca) Hensle, had died in April of 1948. They continued to live at 282 Marlborough until about 1955.
On October 20, 1955, 282 Marlborough was purchased from Julius Hensle and Bertha Mahoney by Newman Preparatory School, located at 245 Marlborough. It used 282 Marlborough for classrooms.
On March 25, 1968, 282 Marlborough was acquired from Newman Preparatory School by Victor S. Best, trustee of Best Realty Trust. Best Realty leased the property to the Northeast Broadcast School. The school continued to be located there in 1988.
In July of 1990, Best Realty Trust filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property back into a single-family dwelling. On May of 1991, it filed for (and subsequently received approval of) permission to convert the property into three apartments. The application probably was filed in anticipation of the sale of the property.
On June 6, 1991, 282 Marlborough was purchased from Victor Best by Gwen E. Mitchell. On September 10, 1996, she converted the property into three condominium units, the 282 Marlborough Street Condominium.