358 Commonwealth was designed by Obed F. Smith, architect, and built in 1883-1884 by Vinal & Dodge, builders, for building contractor George Wheatland, Jr., probably for speculative sale. It was one of five contiguous houses (352-354-356-358-360 Commonwealth) built at the same time, and one of fifteen houses (322-326 Commonwealth and 338-360 Commonwealth) built on the same block for George Wheatland, Jr., in 1882-1884. He is shown on the original building permit application for 358 Commonwealth, dated November 30, 1883.
By the 1885-1886 winter season, it was the home of Albion Bryant Turner and his wife, Mary Alice (Rawson) Turner. They had been married in January of 1885, and 358 Commonwealth may have been their first Boston home together. Mary A. Turner is shown as the owner of 358 Commonwealth on the 1888 Bromley map.
They continued to live at 358 Commonwealth in 1887, but by had moved to 457 Beacon by 1888.
By the 1887-1888 winter season, 358 Commonwealth was the home of Arthur D. McClellan, an attorney, and his wife, Mary A. (Townsend) McClellan. They had lived next door, at 356 Commonwealth, during the previous season.
A. D. McClellan is shown as the owner on the 1890 Bromley map.
The McClellans continued to live there until about 1890, when they moved to the Hotel Vendôme.
During the 1890-1891 winter season, 358 Commonwealth was the home of Wallace Lincoln Pierce and his wife, Stella Louise (Walworth) Pierce. They previously had lived in Milton. Wallace Pierce was a partner in and later president of the S. S. Pierce Company, importers and retail dealers in groceries, founded by his father, Samuel Stillman Pierce. By 1892, they were again living in Milton.
By the 1891-1892 winter season, 358 Commonwealth was the home of George Fordyce Blake, Jr., an iron and steel merchant, and his wife, Carrie Howard (Turner) Blake. They previously had lived in Worcester. He is shown as the owner on the 1895 Bromley map.
Living with them was Carrie Blake’s mother, Vesta Howard (Torrey) Turner, the widow of Job Abiel Turner and the mother of Albion Bryant Turner, who had lived there in 1886. Vesta Howard’s deceased husband, Job Turner, had been the treasurer of George Blake’s father’s firm, which manufactured brickmaking equipment and steam pumps.
The Blakes and Mrs. Turner continued to live at 358 Commonwealth in 1895. By 1896, the Blakes and moved back to Worcester and Mrs. Turner was living at the Hotel Brunswick (southeast corner of Clarendon and Boylston).
358 Commonwealth was not listed in the 1896 Blue Book.
In the spring of 1896, 358 Commonwealth was purchased from George Blake by Dr. Orren Burnham Sanders and his wife, Florence Josephine (Leland) Sanders. The transaction was reported in the Boston Globe on May 15, 1896. He was a homeopathic physician and also maintained his office at 358 Commonwealth. They previously had lived (and he had maintained his office) at 370 Columbus.
Florence Sanders’s mother, Mary E. (Babcock) Leland, the widow of Lester Leland, lived with them. She previously had lived at 162 West Canton. Her son, Lester Leland, trustee, is shown as the owner on the 1895 Bromley map and was the assessed owner through 1905.
Mary Leland died in November of 1905. Orren and Florence Sanders continued to live at 358 Commonwealth. Florence Sanders was the assessed owner from 1906 through 1914 and is shown as the owner on the 1908 and 1917 Bromley maps.
Orren Sanders died in September of 1913, killed in an automobile accident, and Florence Sanders died in October of 1913. They had no children. Florence Sanders’s brother, Lester Leland, was the assessed owner of 358 Commonwealth from 1915 through 1920.
358 Commonwealth was not listed in the Blue Books after 1913.
358 Commonwealth was not listed in the 1915 and 1917 Blue Books.
In April of 1920, Dr. William Henry Gilpatric acquired 358 Commonwealth from Lester Leland. In July of 1920, William Gilpatric’s wife, Carolyn Draper (Nutt) Gilpatric, purchased 356 Commonwealth.
William Gilpatric was a dentist specializing in orthodontia, and he converted 356-358 Commonwealth into dental offices. William and Carolyn Gilpatric lived in Winchester.
In June of 1920, Dr. Gilpatric filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert 358 Commonwealth from an office and single-family dwelling into three dental offices and “habitation.” In July of 1920, he filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert 356 Commonwealth from offices and lodgings into dental offices. As part of the applications, he also received permission to
In about 1928, the Gilpatrics acquired 360 Commonwealth, and in April of 1928, they applied for (and subsequently received) permission to remodel the interior, including cutting four doors in the party wall connecting with 358 Commonwealth. The building’s use was shown as being dental offices.
Dr. Gilpatric died in March of 1938. Carolyn Gilpatric was the assessed owner of 356-358-360 Commonwealth through 1946.
By 1947, 356-358-360 Commonwealth were owned by Howard Stephen Cosgrove, a real estate dealer who lived in Winchester. He was the assessed owner in 1947 and 1948.
By 1948, 356-358-360 Commonwealth were owned by Harry H. Byron. He was the assessed owner from 1949 through 1951.
In March of 1948, he applied for (and subsequently received) permission to convert 356-358 Commonwealth from 23 dental offices into 22 dental offices and one office for medical massage and physical therapy.
By 1960, 356-358-360 Commonwealth were owned by Hyman Goodman. By that point, each building contained dental offices and apartments.
In November of 1960, he applied for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the dental offices on the second, third, and fourth floors at 356 and 358 Commonwealth into apartment use, expanding the existing apartments (and not increasing the number of units). 356 Commonwealth subsequently had one dental office and six apartments, and 358 Commonwealth had two dental offices and six apartments.
By 1967, 356-358-360 Commonwealth were owned by Michael J. Smith, trustee of Wethersfield Associates.
In September of 1967 Robert White acquired 356-358-360 Commonwealth from Michael Smith.
In December of 1988, he filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert 356 Commonwealth into ten apartments and 358 Commonwealth into nine apartments, and at the same time to consolidate the two buildings as one property, with nineteen units. In May of 1989, he filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert 356-358 Commonwealth into one office and nineteen apartments.
In February of 1992, Robert White filed for (and subsequently received) permission to increase the number of apartments at 356-358 Commonwealth from nineteen to twenty-one by converting the office into two apartments.
In September of 2000, Charles White Management applied for (and subsequently received) permission to combine 356-358 Commonwealth and 360 Commonwealth into a single property consisting of 27 apartments (18 in 356-358 Commonwealth and 9 in 360 Commonwealth) and one professional office (in 360 Commonwealth).
356-358-360 Commonwealth remained an apartment house in 2015.