360 Commonwealth was designed by Obed F. Smith, architect, and built in 1883-1884 by Vinal & Dodge, builders, for building contractor George Wheatland, Jr., probably for speculative sale. It was one of five contiguous houses (352-354-356-358-360 Commonwealth) built at the same time, and one of fifteen houses (322-326 Commonwealth and 338-360 Commonwealth) built on the same block for George Wheatland, Jr., in 1882-1884. He is shown on the original building permit application for 360 Commonwealth, dated November 30, 1883.
360 Commonwealth was originally numbered 358 Commonwealth until about 1889, when 328-330 Commonwealth were built to the east of it.
By the 1885-1886 winter season, it was the home of David Boardman Flint and his wife, Elizabeth L. (Fuller) Flint. They previously had lived in Watertown. He is shown as the owner of 360 Commonwealth on the 1888 and 1898 Bromley maps, and was the assessed owner through 1903.
David Flint was a retired lumber merchant.
Elizabeth Flint died in March of 1889. David Flint continued to live at 360 Commonwealth, remarrying in June of 1891 to Dr. Almena Jane (Guptill) Baker, a homeopathic physician and widow of Edward A. Baker, a jeweler, who had died in June of 1889.
David Flint died in July of 1903, and Almena Flint moved soon thereafter to the Hotel Somerset.
Charles E. Stratton et al, trustees, were the assessed owners of 360 Commonwealth in 1904.
By 1905, 360 Commonwealth was the home and medical offices of Dr. James D. Robertson, a physician. He previously had lived and maintained his office at 200 St. Botolph. He married in June of 1905 to Frances J. (Greenhalge) Ross, the widow of John Ross.
After their marriage, they lived at 360 Commonwealth. James Robertson was the assessed owner of 360 Commonwealth in 1905, and Frances Robinson was the assessed owner from 1906 through 1911 and is shown as the owner on the 1908 Bromley map.
They continued to live at 350 Commonwealth in 1911, but had moved to 205 Bay State Road by 1912.
In April of 1911, real estate dealer Walter Stanley Tripp acquired 360 Commonwealth from Frances J. Robertson. According to an April 13, 1911, Boston Globe article, he reconveyed the property to John H. Morse, who “bought for investment.” John Morse was the assessed owner in 1912 and 1913 and is shown as the owner on the 1912 Bromley map.
360 Commonwealth was not listed in the 1912-1914 Blue Books.
By 1913, 350 Commonwealth was owned by Fred L. Hewitt, trustee, who was the assessed owner in 1914 and 1915.
In April of 1913, Fred Hewitt, a lawyer, filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property from a single-family dwelling into “suites for doctors.” At the same time, he also received permission to lower the front entrance from the first floor to the street level, and also to remove the basement level bay and support the bay window above by iron columns and beams. The remodeling was designed by architects Dykeman and Murray.
360 Commonwealth changed hands and in about 1928 was acquired by Dr. William H. Gilpatric and his wife, Carolyn Draper (Nutt) Gilpatric. W. H. Gilpatric et al were the assessed owners from that year, They had owned 356 and 358 Commonwealth since about 1920.
William Gilpatric was a dentist specializing in orthodontia, and he had converted 356-358 Commonwealth into dental offices. William and Carolyn Gilpatric lived in Winchester.
In April of 1928, they applied for (and subsequently received) permission to remodel the interior of 360 Commonwealth, including cutting four doors in the party wall connecting with 358 Commonwealth. The building’s use was shown as being dental offices.
Dr. Gilpatric died in March of 1938. Carolyn Gilpatric was the assessed owner of 356-358-360 Commonwealth through 1946.
By 1947, 356-358-360 Commonwealth were owned by Howard Stephen Cosgrove, a real estate dealer who lived in Winchester. He was the assessed owner in 1947 and 1948.
360 Commonwealth changed hands, remaining medical offices (and probably apartments) under the same ownership as 356-358 Commonwealth.
By 1967, 356-358-360 Commonwealth were owned by Michael J. Smith, trustee of Wethersfield Associates.
In September of 1967 Robert White acquired 356-358-360 Commonwealth from Michael Smith.
In January of 1975, he applied for permission to legalize the occupancy of 360 Commonwealth as ten apartments, which he stated had been the existing condition for a “great many years.” The application was denied but his appeal was granted by the Board of Appeal. However, he subsequently abandoned the permit.
In December of 1988, he received permission to combine 356-358 Commonwealth into a single property with nineteen apartments.
In February of 1989, he once again filed for permission to legalize the occupancy of 360 Commonwealth as ten apartments, and then abandoned the permit.
In November of 1998, he filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert 360 Commonwealth into nine apartments and one dental office, noting that a similar application had been approved by the Board of Appeal in 1975 but then abandoned.
In September of 2000, Charles White Management applied for (and subsequently received) permission to combine 356-358 Commonwealth and 360 Commonwealth into a single property consisting of 27 apartments (18 in 356-358 Commonwealth and 9 in 360 Commonwealth) and one professional office (in 360 Commonwealth).
356-358-360 Commonwealth remained an apartment house in 2015.