Snell and Gregerson

The firm of Snell and Gregerson was formed in about 1862, a partnership of George Snell and James R. Gregerson.  The partnership continued until Snell’s death in 1893.

Bainbridge Bunting (Houses of Boston’s Back Bay) comments that the “work of Snell and Gregerson…possesses a stylistic consistency too strong to pass unnoticed. … While many of their contemporaries merely manipulated Classical forms, Snell and Gregerson, more perhaps than any other contemporary Boston firm, demonstrated a sympathy and understanding of orderly, Academic design.  Although disciplined, their designs are not the rigid mechanical exercises which less gifted academicians so often produced in the name of Classicism.  Usually they demonstrate a good deal of freedom and originality in handling Classical detail but these decorative variations never obscure the architectonic clarity of the composition.  In their hands the French Academic formula is both dignified and adaptable.”

Back Bay Work

1864 188 Beacon
1864 190 Beacon
1864 8 Commonwealth (Demolished)
1864 10 Commonwealth (Demolished)
1865 301 Berkeley (43 Marlborough) (Demolished)
1865 41 Marlborough (Demolished)
1866 15 Commonwealth
1866 54 Commonwealth (Demolished)
1866 56 Commonwealth (Demolished)
1866 58 Commonwealth
1866 60 Commonwealth
1867 179 Beacon
1867 401 Beacon (Demolished)
1867 403 Beacon
1867 405 Beacon
1867 407 Beacon
1867 409 Beacon
1869 236 Beacon
1869 238 Beacon
1869 68 Commonwealth
1871 163 Marlborough
1872 326 Dartmouth
1872 328 Dartmouth
1877 322 Beacon
1877 63 Commonwealth
1877 65 Commonwealth (Demolished)
1878 135 Commonwealth
1878 183 Commonwealth
1879 133 Commonwealth
1879 171 Commonwealth
1880 340 Beacon
1880 263 Commonwealth
1880 267 Commonwealth
1882 177 Commonwealth
1885 18 Exeter
1887 406 Beacon
1888 501 Beacon
1888 404 Marlborough
1889 27½-29 Massachusetts